Superglue removal

As well as apprentices with tape measures and a computer that did not do what I want it to do I have one final question/post.
I have a bunch of keys covered in dried superglue.
Google says acetone will clean them. Anyone tried it?
One of the keys is a pretty secure padlock key with more dimples on it than on the recent post about getting a key cut.
--
Adam

On 16/05/2019 19:40, ARW wrote:

yes.

Get a polythene pot with a LID and soak them overnight. Lid stops evaporation.
--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain
On 16/05/2019 19:40, ARW wrote:

Acetone, but acetone can attack some plastics so test first.
On 16/05/2019 19:40, ARW wrote:

Yes acetone does work but be aware that some nail varnish remover isn't acetone and doesn't work.
Acetone will also dissolve some plastics so if the keys or keyring has plastic parts then these could be at risk.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

Get the midget who likely isnt so much of a midget anymore to post some pics after you have hanged yourself.
On 16/05/2019 19:40, ARW wrote:

Have you recently upset an apprentice?
On 16/05/2019 22:57, Fredxx wrote:

Of course.
But this was just a leak of some super glue in the drivers door pocket of the van where I keep the keys.
--
Adam

Acetone cannot hurt unless any of the parts are plastic, in which case it will melt it. Beware do not pour your acetone into a small plastic yoghurt pot to soak the items in. In half an hour the acetone will be gone and the pot firmly glued to the table! Brian
--
----- --
On 17/05/2019 08:23, Brian Gaff wrote:

But polythene as TNP originally said will be fine. Also polypropylene (e.g. Chinese take-away boxes).
On 17/05/2019 11:41, newshound wrote:

Many takeaway food boxes are PLA as its compostable.
A jam jar is safest for the container but you still need to test the keys.
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 7:40:52 PM UTC+1, ARW wrote:

I believe that nitromethane is good for dissolving superglue. 'Nitro' is used in model aeroplane engine fuel - probably the easiest way of getting hold of it - so I am a little surprised that superglue is also used in aeromodelling, but there you go.
TNP will probably be along in a minute to lay down his law on the matter...
On 17/05/2019 11:32, jkn wrote:

Any nitromethane left over can be dumped into the work's van fuel tank to get 0 to 300mph in 4 seconds.
https://youtu.be/qWxMgZzaprQ?t

https://youtu.be/qWxMgZzaprQ?t

--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:40:52 +0100, ARW

Just a thought but could you stick them in boiling water?
I superglued two of my fingers by mistake. I thought I had a problem on my hands (literally!) but it came off fairly quickly just by putting my hand under running water.
On 17/05/2019 18:48, Scott wrote:

But you probably noticed that your fingers were stuck together:-)
The keys have probably been stuck for a week.
But it's easy enough to find out.
--
Adam

On Friday, 17 May 2019 19:08:31 UTC+1, ARW wrote:

It does go mushy in water but takes a long time. I'd probably start by tapping the keys with a hammer, cyano is somewhat fracturable. And if you can get a blade in a crack between them, you should be able to bend them to complete uselessness.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Heat the keys with a soldering iron - but keep your well away (unless you also want to clear your sinuses).
--
Ian

Who stole 'nose' ?!
--
Ian

On Sat, 18 May 2019 08:30:53 +0100, Ian Jackson

F**k nose :-)
On 17/05/2019 18:48, Scott wrote:

You probably just removed a layer of skin
--! mailto : news admac myzen co uk