suitable finish for wooden handrails ?

I am giving the hall stairs and landing a smarten-up and wondered
what a good option is for finishing pine hand rails and mahogany
hand rails.
The pine is a bit grubby, probably because it was never sealed
originally, so was going to lightly sand down to get back to clean
bare wood, but worried that varnishing will wear through over time,
making it look tatty again - or maybe this takes years to wear
through ?
Thanks,
Nick
Reply to
Nick
A polyurethane varnish would probably be best. Ronseal or the like. If you don't want a high gloss you can get such things in matt or satin. Sand it as smooth as you can. Put on three to five coats with a rub down with fine paper between the last three and it'll look good and last for years.
Peter Scott
Reply to
Peter Scott
Hi Peter
Thanks for the reply - Have got some of that so will set to and do as you suggest -
Many thanks,
Nick
Reply to
Nick
I can vouch for this. I did pretty much exactly this with a victorian mahogany handrail about 18 months ago using Ronseal - still looks great. Be careful where you put the varnish tin as you work. I had a little mishap involving me tripping backwards over it and cascading varnish down the stairs. Luckily this was before the staircase was carpeted.
Reply to
Martin Pentreath
Coo that could have been nasty if you'd got knocked out and woken up with it dry and you glued to the stairs!
Peter Scott
Reply to
Peter Scott
In article , snipped-for-privacy@peter-scott.org.uk says...
Having once superglued my bare foot to the kitchen vinyl I can vouch for the immense feelings of stupidity when ones spouse arrives an hour later to find you still immobile.
Reply to
Skipweasel
Danish oil (mostly oil, a small addition of varnish). Screwfix sell a decent one.
The benefit over a pure varnish is that it improves with age, rather than flaking and looking terrible. Future refinishing is easy, just go over it lightly with a green Scotchbrite pad to clean it, then re-oil.
Reply to
Andy Dingley
How did you get free? You can't have waited for several days till the skin went dead and you could pull your foot away. Or did you......?
Reply to
Peter Scott

Site Timeline Threads

  • site's last updated in