Outdoor steps and handrails

There was a very helpful thread on garden steps some months back: thanks to everyone who chipped in.

One thing which didn't crop up then was this: I've looked at the online regs but can't find this specific information.

I'm about to install sets of steps from my two patio doors and back door down to the existing ground level; the drop is almost exactly 600mm. Is it necessary to have handrails and vertical bannisters on both sides of each set of steps, or is it sufficient to put them on one side only?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

As so often happens (apologies) having posted the question I almost immediately found the answer:

K1 1.34 (c): If the stairs are 1000mm or wider: provide a handrail on both sides.

Bert Coules

Well, are any of the people who use it suffering from sight problems? If so then please paint whit or yellow on the edges and on the side with no rail, and a light contrasting colour on the rail. I've been to so many peoples houses when I still had partial sight and tripped due to the lack of the 3D view of how the stairs run and the edges if everything is the same colour. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

That's planned, Brian. The main user will be me, and though my sight's OK I have difficulties with balance: it's just as important for me clearly to see the layout as it would be for the partially-sighted.

Reply to
Bert Coules

What will you be using for the handrails? Wood, metal, plastic, or a combination?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Probably wood, which will make any colour choices easy to implement of course.

Reply to
Bert Coules

You also need to take into account who will be using them.

For example, I walk with a stck in my right hand so, if I'm forced to use stairs, it is important to have a handrail on the left in BOTH directions, irrespective of the width of the stairs.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Terry Casey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid posted

Of course the OP must also accommodate those who have no limbs and are blind and deaf. So, rather than a stair, he must install a lift with a fitted gurney, permanently staffed by a medically qualified attendant.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

Nah, you can use a jcb bucket hinged onto the door cill.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What if I have a visitor who suffers from Entamaphobia - the fear of doors? Obviously I have to take great care to ensure that she or he won't be distressed. I'd wall the doorway up, but the odds are I'd then be visited by a touvlophobe, someone deathly afraid of bricks. Where does it end?

Reply to
Bert Coules

It never started - you only have to make "reasonable provision".

For example if your block of 10 flats doesn't have step free access and it would cost £60k to put in a ramp (£6k per flat), you don't have to do it.

However a £60k ramp on a block of flats serving 50 flats starts to become more reasonable, and for a block of 100 flats, it becomes unreasonable not to make the provision (£600 per flat).

Reply to
John Kenyon

Ah, but who decides what is and what isn't reasonable? And reasonable for whom?

Reply to
Bert Coules

In both cases, "The man on the Clapham Omnibus"

John Kenyon

I didn't see any reference to him in the Doug Paulley case (wheelchair user wanting to use bus) where even the Supreme Court justices couldn't agree on just what was and wasn't reasonable.

Reply to
Robin