Broadband for all - not political

why would cables be needed? Surely people can use 3G or something? Wirelss connections are surely good enough.

Because those arent a shared bandwidth system.

Yes, but since those are a shared bandwidth system, it bogs down noticeably if lots near you are all streaming high resolution video etc.

Fraid not.
On 15/11/2019 18:12, Rod Speed wrote:

Of course they are.. xDSL shares the back haul. cable shares the access network and the back haul.

As does xDSL and cable.

wrote

Pity that the bandwidth with fibre is so much greater than with wireless,. stupid.

Pathetic, really.

On 15/11/2019 18:04, John wrote:

Fast and reliable, no need to use precious broadcast spectrum.

That can work in some cases, but not ideally suited in many others. You will need 5G to get useable speeds.
--
Cheers,

John.

I think some speeds are something of a luxury for gamers. It Internet Banking, Email and basic surfing is the next Human Right then quite a modest speed would surely suffice. My WiFi receiver in my old laptop limits me.
On 15/11/2019 18:37, John wrote:

But its only acceptable because there are no bottlenecks. On a highly congested system the problem is not a slow steady speed but lengthy periods where you may not get any response. This is not ideal when internet banking and you are transferring funds when the system appears to go dead leaving you unsure if the transaction has completed.
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

For most people, most of the time, modest speeds are enough to do browsing, banking, etc.
It is gaming, video etc which needs the bandwidth.
While the idea of free high speed Internet is appealing, is it justified so people can watch Strictly and play computer games ?
The renta mob who will fall for this nonsense are the same people who will protest against RF exposure from telephone masts etc yet go home and sit for hours playing stupid games etc on their laptops.
On 15/11/2019 18:37, John wrote:

My neighbours complain about poor broadband, personally I've never had any problem with my (3G only) mobile signal for internet access. A few months ago I had a conversation with someone who was having yet another attempt to round up support for FTTP in the village. Then I relised that what these people want is not an essential level service for a farm or home-based business but being able to watch netflicks all day.
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 18:37:37 +0000, John wrote:

I think some sort of streamed video needs to be included. Not necessarily HD, but bearing in mind the loss of broadcast provision (I'll admit I have not idea if you can get BBC via the air anymore).
On 15/11/2019 18:37, John wrote:

Mmm. depends. With a thick client you dont need a lot of bandwith for games. I dont get killed by only having a 5Mbps link

Honestly I am running today on 1.3Mbps and happy to get it as yesterday had nothing...and its very useable for browsing. Streaming HD - not so much.
Took ages to upload a 160MB file though. Uplink is 300Kbps currently
--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Pity about high resolution video streaming which plenty do now.
< My WiFi receiver in my old laptop limits me.
Irrelevant to what is desirable UK wide.
On 15/11/2019 18:37, John wrote: ...

You seem to be overlooking the fact that for many business applications upload speed is more important than download speed. I certainly wouldn't want to do a major update to a large remotely hosted e-commerce site at 3G, or even 4G speeds.
--
Colin Bignell

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 09:18:43 +0000, nightjar wrote:

Which may be true. However the proposal seems to be for domestic provision.
Jethro_uk wrote:

BBC and Graun seem to be reporting it as being for all homes *and* businesses, but I couldn't see any mention of businesses in either Corbyn or McDonnell's speeches ...
On 17/11/2019 18:47, Andy Burns wrote:

Under corbyn there will only be one business: the state.
--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius

That’s silly, even Corbyn isnt going to nationalise all the supermarkets and retail shops or all the brothels or illegal drug traders either.

On 18/11/2019 18:17, Ray wrote:

Yes he is. Were you asleep when McDonnell announced that Labour would force all private companies to give 10% of their business to their employees in the form of free shares ?.
That's 10% for starters.

You don't know what nationalization is, then?
The idea of some form of profit sharing to the employees is actually a very sound one.
--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

On Wednesday, 20 November 2019 16:45:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

A good idea but not always practical. What happens when the shareholders wa nt more profit or there is no profit ? Why should say CompanyA employees get a share of profits if CompanyA are also destroying various things in the enviroment.
Should these shares be conted as part of their salery ? Will the employees be able to sell their shares ?