Broadband for all - not political

newshound snipped-for-privacy@stevejqr.plus.com> wrote in news:mOednRFb6tBFFU snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

But is it simpler to add in a few more masts than to wire everyone? Is a local communal hub a way forward?

Reply to
John

I don't think it was. Ah, remembered the name of the factory.

Digisolve.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bit ironic since most of the FTTP termination kit in use for Passive Optical Networks is made by Huawei...

Reply to
John Rumm

That?s silly, even Corbyn isnt going to nationalise all the supermarkets and retail shops or all the brothels or illegal drug traders either.

Reply to
Ray

Openreach have just launched a 500Kbps FTTP product (and no, that was not a typo - I really do mean 0.5 megabits per sec). Which may sound daft, however its one of the stepping stone technologies to decommissioning the copper local loop. So very entry level FTTP will become the de-facto provision for those wanting landline phone only. (i.e. it would be supplied with a VoIP line access module to provide the voice service). There is also a suggestion that the consumer could add a normal router to the line for a basic level of internet access, at little / no cost over that of the normal line rental, with an upgrade path to faster data should they wish, with no need for further cabling / engineering works etc.

It makes no sense, so its hardly worth arguing about whether that amounts to more or less sense than HS2.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think I might still have some "new" multi IO cards in a box somewhere

- don't think they had a RTC, but had the rest and a ST506 HDD interface :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

I really didn't think I would ever totally agree with you about something. On the bright side, it does give the capitalists a motive to provide a connection. OTOH, they might well choose to block everything else at some stage.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I assume Labour also have plans for alternative employment for the

14,000 Virgin employees who will lose their jobs when their employer goes bust.
Reply to
JoeJoe

I wonder what those "other means" are considering that their sole business is providing Internet access.

Reply to
JoeJoe

I guess you haven't seen Labours plans for a nationalised zero carbon economy where all those working in the UK dirty energy industries will be given high paid jobs in the green energy utopia.

Reply to
alan_m

"providing Internet access" has two rather different meanings dependant on context. One is the provision of physical bit of wire, glass or WHY. The other is the provision of the services and link(s) to the internet that are carried over the physical provision.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Except that 'modern' ISPs don't any longer provide webspace, Usenet or even email.

Reply to
Max Demian

  1. Dependent.
  2. It is also access to the TCP/IP layers. Not just the bits of wire.
» The other is the provision of the services and link(s)
  1. No, the Internet is not the services it supplies. It is the network itself.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or often, DNS.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All cable operators were dependent on contractors to build their network and were let down badly by the way these outfits performed.

As for fibre, ntl: - now also part of virgin, of course - was no different to Telewest. The background to how the networks developed is often poorly understood, so here goes.

These companies originally provided TV and telephone services only. The signal quality of the TV signal is tightly specified as part of the licence in terms of noise and distortion. These degrade as the number of amplifiers increases so the solution was to cable areas on an individual basis and feed from the headend to the local launch amplifier over fibre.

Amplifier bandwidths increased over time from 450MHz to

550MHz, then 600MHz and, by the time the networks were upgraded for DTV, a bandwidth of 750MHz was chosen as providing sufficient extra bandwidth whilst minimising the amount of network upgrading necessary.

In 1997, the first version of the DOCSIS spec (Data Over Cable Service Interface Specification) was released. This allowed

40Mbs of internet data to be carried in a 6MHz (US) TV channel. A modification created EuroDOCSIS which allowed the full 8MHz bandwidth of European channels to be used. On the network I worked on, the first broadband internet offering was a 'whopping' 600kbs!

Note that this was over 10 times the maximum 56kps available on dial-up.

Another point to bear in mind is that as the network is designed to carry high quality TV signals unlike the voice networks used for ADSL, it doesn't matter where you are on the copper part of the network, the signal quality does not degrade!

Revisions of DOCSIS continued until, in 2006, 1.2Mbs was available in one channel - but there was more.

As the cable networks had been upgraded to digital it become possible to replace all the subscriber analogue set top boxes with digital ones and turn off the analogue channels - which hogged the lion's share of the bandwidth. DOCSIS now allowed multiple channels to be bonded together, vastly incresing the available capacity and enabling higher speeds for subscribers.

As well as the vast speed increase, it was now possible to bond several channels together - the last time I checked my modem it was connected to 5 channels. As the speed per channel increased in 2013 to 10Gbs per channel I could, in theory, have 50Gbs of data all to myself!

Why VM should want to supply FTTP in any of the existing areas beats me - Their FTTC offering still beats BT's offering hands down because it doesn't suffer from the local copper loop problems that affect so many users.

Anyone who thinks FTTC is new is 20 years out of date!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Yes he is. Were you asleep when McDonnell announced that Labour would force all private companies to give 10% of their business to their employees in the form of free shares ?.

That's 10% for starters.

Reply to
Andrew

A relative lives in Meare which is just outside Glastonbury.

She has to walk 100 yards up the road to get a mobile signal.

Reply to
Andrew

Then your're up against the moaning minnie complaining-brigade who don't want anything altered that they perceive might upset their twee lives.

Reply to
Andrew

Wow !

IS this one of those competitions where we compare how hard our lives are.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You don't know what nationalization is, then?

The idea of some form of profit sharing to the employees is actually a very sound one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)