Broadband for all - not political

IIRC (from the days when Telewest technical staff answered questions on their Usenet support groups) at least some of the regional headends fed in some of the TV channels. But that was of course nothing to do with /internet/.

Reply to
Robin

On 16/11/2019 10:47, John Rumm wrote: ...

I remember when having a 1200/1200 modem was considered really advanced :-)

Reply to
nightjar

Interesting picture.

I'm no radio expert but if that metal roof flexes a tiny amount then those satellite dishes are going to move by a few degrees which can't help throughput.

Reply to
pamela

Which may be true. However the proposal seems to be for domestic provision.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

So ?

Irrespective of who "owns" the internet you use, if you have privacy concerns, VPNs are available.

Same way Starbucks, or McDonalds have control of "their" internet when you pop onto their WiFi. Or is the implication they are somehow more trustworthy than Corbyn ? If so, please show your workings.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

First modem I owned was a post V22bis 2400/2400 - I remember thinking at the time, perhaps I should have gone with the cheaper one, since I might not be able to find many BBS that could support the newest fancy speeds and for that matter was my phone line up to it :-)

(turns out I was wrong - pretty much every BBS had the latest and greatest modem anyway, and the adaptive equalisation of the new modems actually made it more robust than the V22 standard it succeed).

Reply to
John Rumm

If the ISP chooses to allow VPN traffic through their network.

And then do you trust the VPN provider more than your ISP?

Reply to
John Rumm

Could be over port 80 - after all once encrypted, who knows what's in there ?

And so on ... "It's turtles all the way down ..."

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't think it is a roof. It is oprobably like the one I showed in the satellite view which is a very strong steel frame supporting the platform that the dishes are mounted on.

I think you are being confused by the way they have taken advantage of the space underneath to house the air con units and standby generator.

Zoom into it and take a closer view especially at the left hand end which is just the naked frame.

Reply to
Terry Casey

That?s obvious.

They arent attached to the metal roof itself.

then those

It doesn?t work like that.

Reply to
Ray

here is a nice big tower, the building has three generator exhausts sticking out the side. No signage that I know of.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.5304179,-2.0212039,3a,15y,178.42h,98.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sim27Sv_2i2uTyzKe-CuC3g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Reply to
invalid

FOUR exhausts!

Much better view around the corner!

In 2011 it was signed T Mobile

Swing left for tower (and exhausts).

Reply to
Terry Casey

exhausts

Four exhaust from gensets inside the main building in March 2011.

April 2019 three external containerised gensets and change to the 11 kV substation just down the road. Judging by the size of the exhausts I reckon each of those sets is a Mega Watt or so.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I must admit that I couldn't see any trace of exhausts in the original view and when I found a better view from round the corner I was primarilly looking for signage and didn't notice the more recent upgrade.

They really are big, aren't they?

Reply to
Terry Casey

Its a lot more power than you need to run the dishes, I wonder what else is there.

Reply to
invalid

Does your mobile phone work perfectly anywhere in the country? Mine doesn't. And a pal near here in London couldn't have a smart meter due to no signal. In a very ordinary pre war terraced house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm all in favour of a government initiative to get fibre to all premises in the UK. Given the current purely commercial setup is not expanding fast enough. A mate who lives in Lewis (S coast of England, and hardly miles from 'civilisation') still hasn't got even FTC, despite very slow BB.

But the idea of making it totally free to use just pie in the sky and silly to boot.

Just another example of the political parties trying to buy votes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

But some sort of roof aerial could be simpler than underground cable.

Reply to
John

I have 80/20Mbps FTTC (and actually get the rated speed) this street is also cabled for virgin's 350/35Mbps FTTH but guess what? I don't remotely feel the need for it.

I do agree, filling in the non-spots with whatever combination of FTTC, GPON, 4G, etc would be better sense than increasing the speeds for anyone who's already got more than e.g. 20Mbps.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Considering the size of the building, a very large server farm?

Reply to
Terry Casey