Dividing a workshop

Hello Everyone,

I will be getting a workshop building of around 1000 SF soon, which I will use half for woodworking and half for metal working and model making which I would like to keep relatively dust free. My thought is to divide the shop in half using a 2 X 4 wall, faced on one side with plywood, and have sliding glass patio doors (2 sets) between the two halves, so I can open up both sides on a hot day.

My questions are:

  1. Is there a good source for cheap patio doors? I don't need insulated or even particularly weather resistant units, as they will be inside the building.

  1. Anything I should consider before (or instead) of doing this. Potential pitfalls?

Your advice would be appreicated.

Cordially,

Kurt

Kurt Greiner

SeaPhoto Maritime Photography ...delete "net" to reply

- now taking online payments via Paypal

Learn about large scale r/c model warships- Warship Models Underway

Kurt Greiner

My local orange Borg seems to have a constant supply of doors/windows that I presume were misordered or not picked up priced at a discount. Might work well for you since you wouldn't have to be picky about the size.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Habitat for Humanity has "resale" stores in lots of centers. Especially if you can build ot fit the size of the door, you may be able to get a deal there.

Otherwise, check with the manufacturers or wholesalers in you area. They sometimes get returns from contractors that they just want to liquidate.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Better idea -- get some _heavy_ (like 8.0 mil, or even thicker) plastic sheeting. it's available in _big_ dimensions, so you can get a single piece that will go wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling. Wrap the top over a furring strip, and tack it to the ceiling.

The BORG sell _zippers_ for making a doorway through "walls" like this, for only a few bucks. Consider installing three, like a wide 'inverted-T', so you can move 'stuff' through easily.

if you want 'dust-tight', then duct-tape the plastic to the walls, and a bunch of 'draft snakes' (a _sandbag_, but only about 1" in diameter, and 30-36" long) to hold the bottom 'tight' to the floor. the reason for using the 'lightweight' sand-bags, rather than doing something like duct-taping it to the floor, is so that it _will_ give -- rather than tear -- when you run something into it. And it's trivially easy to 'put back' after it does get run into.

If you try _hard_, you might be able to run the expenses all the way up to $100. and drag things out to an entire afternoon.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

C'mon, you're bragging here, aren't you?

Barn door hardware and wood, window in same if you just _have_ to see from one side to the other. Baffle and/or foam in the gaps to exclude dust.

1000 SF indeed!
Reply to
George

Just be aware that exposed plastic sheeting burns like fireworks. Spend the extra money for flame resistant stuff if you go this route.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Personally, I think patio doors would be a pain. Stepping over, and moving tool boxes, and the like, over the threshold would make me go with just double swinging doors.

Reply to
Greg O

My neighbour has used stuff that is heavy plastic strips (about 1/8"thick) approx 6-8 inches wide that you would see used as a cooler door in a food wholesalers warehouse. You usually see it at Coscto on the entrance to their coolers. I have no idea how much it costs, but it makes a great divider. It keeps the "hot side hot & the cool side cool", but can be easily tied back to allow for airflow. It does a great job of letting the light thru, and you can move any size of project thru it with no problem.

Reply to
BiffNightly

I have almost the same setup, but used a sliding door made from plywood, with only a top slide and a couple of bottom guide blocks. I did not want to be constantly tripping over a bottom slide. It works well with very little dust problem. I also use one side of the door as giant tool storage rack.

Barry lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Automobile repair shops use those clear strips, too, for their service bay doors during hot weather. You might check with some local dealers and see where they get them from.

That sounds like a perfect solution to divide and still let light through but keep dust to a minimum.

Make some sawdust,

Woodworkerdan Dan Harriman Orange, Texas

"BiffNightly" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Reply to
Dan

Here's one place:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

Love those dock bumpers. ;-)

Reply to
Termite

If in PA check out

Don't let the outdated site confuse you. They auction building supplies once a month. Next auction Thursday, July 8th. Doors like this can often be had for just a couple of bucks.

Reply to
Brikp

I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to reply to this thread - you have given me a number of good ideas to consider. I can't wait to move in!

Thanks again