Steps up to new workshop

I'm building a new workshop on the back of my garage. The main entrance will be through the garage. I'm putting a second door to the outside, but because the land is sloping there's a 600mm drop.

I've thought up several ways of doing the steps (150mm risers) but the easiest so far is using some offcuts I have of 4" dia pressure treated stobs. Bang them into the ground to the right height, link with suitable battens and then decking timber for the steps.

The question on my mind is whether there is anything to be gained in setting them in some concrete so that their height is a bit more permanent. Use of these steps is likely to be occasional.

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

If you're going to be moving very heavy items up and down it may pay to make 'em solid.

Reply to
m1ss_wh1te

I'd say find some way of making a slope rather than steps. If you don't there'll be a time when you want to get something heavy in there and it will be extremely difficult without a slope.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Good point Mary, and this door is for the transit of 'big' things. But a slope isn't possible and with the lift of only 600mm, the one off occasions that would require a slope can be overcome. Experience has also taught me that slopes have to be extremely shallow if they aren't to present a slip hazard, and if this exit is rarely used, then the leaves will be the wrong type!!

Rob

Reply to
robgraham