Driveway drainage

Hi,

I get a 1m x 50cm pool of water collecting on my driveway every time it rains. The pool is near my front door so is very inconvenient. The driveway is made from concrete. The garage is right next to the front door and hence the driveway forms access to the house as well.

I have thought of raising the level of the driveway at this point, but I'm not sure what to use. I guess a thin layer of concrete on top of the existing material would just crack in no time.

There is a drainage channel right in front of the garage door but the driveway slopes down slightly for a few feet before sloping up towards the road. The driveway also slopes sideways so the water from the lowest point of the drive flows in front of the main entrance to the house :-(

I know the best solution would be to replace the whole drive but I cannot afford this at the moment!

What's the easiest/cheapest way to fix this?

TIA, Mark.

Reply to
Mark

A pair of wellies and a broom?

Reply to
Set Square

Could you cut a small channel from near the middle of the puddle to the drainage channel? This would require that the bottom of the puddle was not lower than the bottom of the drainage channel though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

OK. I should have said the second cheapest solution! I'm fed up with the wellies/broom method. ;-)

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the suggestion but the puddle is below the level of the drainage channel. :-( I'm not sure how to cut a neat channel in an old concrete driveway anyway.

Mark.

Reply to
Mark

Easiest, although not the cheapest, would be to use an epoxy based cement to fill the hollow. Epoxy based cement does not care how thin you make the edges and does not crack. I used it on a worn step 25 years ago and it is still perfectly sound.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Thanks for the info. I've never used epoxy cement. Where is it sold and are there any 'gotchas'?

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark

I bought it from an industrial flooring supplier. Apart from the usual precautions when handling epoxy resins, there are no special problems.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar