driveway drainage

I just purchased a house with a driveway that slopes toward the basement. Entry to the driveway would be about 1st floor, height differential of about

10 feet from the bottom, length is about 40 feet. As expected water runs down the driveway towards the garage/basement. There is a slight grade to the driveway from left to right - right side is pointing away from the house. Typically water has been running toward right corner of the driveway/ bottom of the garage door and then off to the right where a 4in diameter drainage tube exists.

Problem is during heavy rain/snow melt the water is coming in the garage and the drainage tube is getting iced up. This also created a chain reaction which froze up the guttars - the guttar downspout also empties into the frozen drainage. I just ice picked it out tonight with a propane torch and 4 hours of chopping.

Any suggestions on how to improve my drainage situation?

thanks gregg gibson oakland, nj

Reply to
gregg gibson

I've got one of these, too. But that's only because my wife inherited this little shop of horrors we live in.

Fact is, slope toward the house will always be slope toward the house -- and the problems asociated with that -- until you fix it.

You didnt say, however, whether you're dealing with a troubled slope/grade that's dirt/grass, or conveniently covered with asphalt or concrete. That might help.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

My parents bought one like this in Iowa. That driveway guy sure got around.... I had a trench cut into the driveway right at the garage door, 4 inch deep and 6 inches wide. I had it stepped right at the level of the driveway so that the expanded metal I bought would fit flush. The trench is sloped to the lawn like a 1/8 inch per foot. The concrete contractor was so pissed at me when I brought out a 8 foot level to check grade before he poured the concrete. Yep it was wrong.... Mom hated the noise when she drove over the grating, but there were no more problems with rain, ice or snow.

Reply to
SQLit