Electric workshop heater, fan or radient?

Hi all,
I just stripped down my old workshop fan heater to find both wire elements broken (in more than one place each).
So, I'm in the market for a replacement heater. 20 x 10 x 8' pre-fab concrete garage with a little insulation on the walls (ply lining with some bubble wrap between that and the concrete) but un-insulated corrugated cement fibre roof. My intention isn't really to heat the workshop, just to provide a source of warmth when doing stuff like lathework, when you aren't moving / working much.
So, a mate has one of those cylindrical heaters with the rigid heater elements and that sort of thing may be one of the potential candidates. I probably wouldn't want it to be more than a couple of kW and ideally be quiet and thermostatic. I've seen such on the net for around 30 quid.
I mentioned the idea of one of the wall mounted radiant heaters elsewhere but because I could be working anywhere in the workshop and my bench is at one end and there isn't a lot of spare height or wall space that end (racking and component draws etc), I'm not sure how suitable that would be.
Then I was reminded of the floor mounted radiant heaters and one of the advertised plusses were 'Good for workshops as they don't blow dust about ...'?
Now, whilst the old (metal) fan heater *was* full of dust, I can't really remember the movement of air being a particular issue?
So, what sort of thing do you guys use please?
Cheers, T i m

Having spent lots and lots of time during location filming in draughty old buildings, my choice by a mile would be a radiant heater. If you can't heat the building easily, heat the person.
--
*Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid altogether *

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:16:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Yup, that was my thinking and whilst I've had and used radiant heaters indoors, I'd not tried them in (as you say) in draughty (potentially unheatable) buildings, like my workshop.
That said, most of the ones I have seen and used were fairly flimsy plastic and I've had to rewire them to bypass faulty switches and replace thermal fuses etc?
Cheers, T i m
On 24/02/2016 16:41, T i m wrote:

Since you're a DIYer why not add some insulation? If it's a concrete floor it's very effective to put an old carpet down.
I use an oil filled radiator in the workshop. Totally silent and totally safe.
Bill
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 17:07:02 +0000, Bill Wright

I have considered it Bill (and not ruled it out) but at the moment the 'space' in the roof (traditional pitched roof made from shallow steel 'A' frames) is pretty well filled with long lengths of 'stuff' (and a folding boat). ;-)

But that doesn't work too well when you are welding ... or stripping engines ... ;-(

Yes, we use one indoors but I don't think it would suit my 'I'm in here for 30 mins and I need heat now' sorta needs. ;-(
To be fair, during all but the coldest days and depending on what I am doing a hat and some thin gloves are normally good enough. Not so good (the gloves) when doing fine work though and that is where some form of instant heating would come in.
Cheers, T i m

The ones we used were substantial devices designed for heavy use.
--
*You can't teach an old mouse new clicks *

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 at 12:34:04 AM UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Electric patio heater or smoker shelter heater true IR heaters
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 17:47:03 -0800 (PST), Adam Aglionby
Ah, cheers, another avenue to investigate.
T i m
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 16:41:32 +0000, T i m wrote:

A possible snag with a radiant heater is that you get a hot side/head and cold other side/feet. But for just a bit of warmth for half an hour I'd say radiant is the way to go, anything else will still be heating itself up or the workshop. One of those blown gas powered space heaters would warm the air quickly but the structure will still suck heat away.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I thought of putting one (or more) smaller ones in the roofspace pointing down but with it would still only be 1m away from my (bald) head and probably a bit close. Plus I thought that they can be quite 'open' and I wasn't sure if the outside of the element was live, in case I accidentally poked a long length of piano wire or steel strip into it?

I'll have a look to consider where I could stand one where it wouldn't also risk heating other stuff in there. I guess that's one advantage of a fan heater in that the heat is carried in a flow of air so not focusing it quite as much (less chance of hotspots on me or other things)?

I do have one of those but 1) they are a bit of a faff and I wasn't sure if they produced a lot of water vapour?
Cheers, T i m

That would be my choice
--
Adam

On 2/24/2016 4:16 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Certainly correct for big, draughty buildings. In my relatively compact and cluttered workshop, I use a thermostatically controlled 3 kw fan heater at ground level (although I don't find I need it very often, I'm usually generating enough heat).
On 24/02/2016 15:57, T i m wrote:

The floorstanding radiant one I have has 4 bulbs covered by a honeycomb reflector. Each bulb is about 800W and they can be switched individually in any combination.
It also oscillates through about an arc.
Plug into an extension lead and move it to where you're working.
What I did notice is that after being on for quite a few hours on a 4 degree C weekend 2 or 3 weeks ago the radiated heat presumable gets absorbed by the walls which in turn gave a nice background warmth to the un-insulated "garage"

I prefer fan heaters myself, mainly because they heat the place from cold much more quickly than anything else and when you are primarily heating yourself rather than the entire thing you are in, you can point the hot air stream at yourself.
Radiant heaters can work better if you can point them at yourself when you are doing stuff in one place for a while, but aren't as easy to move around because they are normally quite a bit bigger.
On Wednesday, 24 February 2016 15:58:00 UTC, T i m wrote:

Both dangerous when there's wood dust about. Fire hazard.

Even sillier and more pig ignorant than you usually manage.
On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 22:58:15 -0800, harry wrote:
<snip>

FWIW, I'm more of a mechanical / machining / fabrication guy these days so there is a greater chance of me setting fire *to* my heater whilst welding than the heater setting fire to anything else. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Wednesday, February 24, 2016 at 3:58:00 PM UTC, T i m wrote:

I use a diesel fueled electric blow heater. They are also available gas fired. Very powerful and heat the place fairly quickly. You could rent one to try it out.
On 25/02/2016 10:18, fred wrote:

Do you find the moisture produced to be a problem?
--
Cheers,

John.
On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:14:48 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

When I took on Mrs No2 (I just found out that Mrs No1 has just died of a brain tumor) she came with a kid and my 'workshop' had to move from the middle bedroom to down the garage. ;-(
It was after a few cold days and often after running the portable gas fire I noticed my beautiful Myford ML10 was covered in surface rust so now has to be covered with a blanket after use during the winter.
Cheers, T i m