Electric heater fan

Hi,

I have several portable electric heater fans. I only use them very rarely. The fans on the heaters always start up very slowly when they are first turned on. Probably because they are old.... After a few minutes of operation they seem to get up to operational speed and the heat sensor stops tripping.

I guess that the fan bearings need some form of lubrication. But what should I use?

TIA, Colin

Reply to
Colin

A new portable electric heater in my opinion. These aren't terribly expensive (usually). And if the motor is gumming up there's not really much you can do about it.

Oiling one of these isn't an option. You may increase the fire risk by putting burnable material (oil) in close proximity to a heater element.

YMMV.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

I have regularly lubed old fan heaters for many years of additional use, none have caught fire, some have given out a quick puff of smoke, as I spray them while they run. so I suppose there is a small risk of fire. I have used all sorts of different spray lube with a tube. Duck oil works well. HI-Tef is best , but I have run out.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Sewing machine oil. It's the best light machine oil easily available. A couple of drops in each bearing should do it - don't over oil as it might get on to the element.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I really would not recommend any form of PTFE/Teflon based spray. When burned this forms a poisonous gas (phosgene I think). Ordinary oil applied to the motor which usually has oilite sintered bearings in fine.

regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Colin.

If it takes that long its more likely to be muck in the bearings. A solvent in there should improve things, let it all dry of then lube it again with oil or grease, whichever was used initially.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton