courage

What do we need for a major DIY project? Skills and money, yes, but also, courage.

It takes nerve to start the first phase, especially if it involves destroying something that's perfectly good, but wrong. Taking the sledgehammer to the kitchen wall or using a JCB to remove the nice lawn and the six feet of material below it can never feel good.

The next phase could be called, "Oh my God what have I done?"

It's only when construction starts that you can start to feel happy.

Or is it only me?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well when I had blown plaster on the walls I felt a lot better after gettin g it all down and painting it with that black oil paint, took me over a yea r to get around to replastering. The on a DIY grand designs type program th ey did similar but left some parts of the wall unplasterted and had the unp laqstered bits a designer/decorative effect because there was some flint in the wall that they thought looked good so left it unplastered.

SO for ,e if removing somethihg or getting rid of something that makes me u nhappy I become happier. :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Is beer in Australia.

Reply to
F Murtz

I often wonder why a nackered wall looks good on a sunny day in Italy, but just a mess at home.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I would say lack of money and blind faith.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

For me its not so much nerve but getting started as I then know I have to keep going. I know my capabilities so never really out of my depth.

I have just finished a refurb of the shower room, only took me 5 months :-) but the electrics took me a month to replace 4x halogens with 2x LED panels (electrician would have been a couple of hours) The showerboard was 7 weeks for delivery so another delay.

In total including wall & floor tiles, cement, plasterboard, plywood,shower enclosure, shower (from elec to gas) radiator, sink vanity unit,extractor fan. And all other bits & bobs my total cost is a tad under £1500 and that includes the plumber who was £190 (mates rates)

So the project and cost certainly made me feel good.

The downside....she now wants the upstair one done :-(

Reply to
ss

I was terrified the first time I cut into the water pipe, knowing I couldn't turn any water back on until I'd finished the job (or at least made the end water tight).

Taking out the consumer unit was a bit scarey, but I knew that in extremis I had some crocodile clips I could wire the kettle up to.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Oh I can *start* any job. It's getting round to finishing it once I get bored that is the problem.

Reply to
newshound

I'm very sure that you are not alone in that sentiment but that's where determination comes in to play. The difference between try and triumph is a little 'oomph'.

Reply to
Nick

No, not only you. Although I had done many roofs, re-slate/re-tile or, conversions, over the 18 years I was roofing, I would have a very disturbed sleep the night before the start.

On the morning of the 'start I was fine. It was just another roof.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Yes, my experience exactly. The night before I was due to travel to an 'away' job I would be dead worried, but once on the road I was fine.

It's like stage fright really. Terrified beforehand, but once you're out there it's such a buzz you have to enjoy it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Never had anything like that either.