Joining new concrete to old

I'm adding a shed on the side of my garage.

It works out that the new concrete floor level will just nicely line up with the top of one of the existing concrete steps into the garage - makes a nice reference point for the levelling.

However the existing step has quite a 45 deg. bevel on it's leading edge. Do I need to treat this in any way to get the new concrete to bond to it ? My concern is that if the bond isn't reasonable, the new concrete will break away in time as it is potentially a weak spot.

Thanks

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Its never a bad idea to chisel some slots and install some sort of metal ties in.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A 45 degree bevel on a step? - are you sure it's not just a kerbstone laid flat on it's back? Either way, you can't 'chamfer' concrete in this way, you are right to assume that it will crack up, the only way to stop this is to give it more depth, IE cut out a straight line with a grinder and chisel off an inch or two in depth, treat with neat PVA prior to concreting and scrape some slop into it.

Reply to
Phil L

Yes a chamfer would have been a better word; when I cast the steps some

25 years ago I obviously put a chamfer on the leading edges so that they wouldn't chip. OK I'll now have to cut it out !! Thanks for the advise.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I did something similar 10 years ago.....

Footings to my garage are a metre wider than the garage (raft foundation). My new block built shed was to be roughly 8' wide so needed footings that reached beyond the scope of the garage foundations. I got two great lengths of angle iron, bent them into large V shaps and bolted them to the side of the footings. Then I poured the concrete - angle iron was then submerged in concrete. OK, no 45 degree thing going on, but that new groundwork has never moved a milimeter in 10 years.

Hope that helps

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul Hodges