Should Internal Walls Have a DPC?

Hi all
A little over 5 years ago I bought a 1970s (dump) house and discovered a
water leak in buried piping (concrete ground floors).
This has resulted in a significant number of rotted skirtings and door frame
bottoms.
Also, at each doorway threshold, the floor screed has blown.
Digging down below floor level and investigating the construction detail
yesterday I discovered:
there doesn't appear to be any dpc to internal wall
the dpm below the concrete floor slab comes vertically up to floor level at
the edge of the slab alongside the internal brick wall IYSWIM so the
internal wall has plastic membrane either side of it from
just-below-floor-level to the underside of the slab
As a result, threshold bricks are damp, have lifted/swollen and have broken
away the floor screed.
Phil
Reply to
TheScullster
Phil Answer is "yes" - in the mortar. If you DIY use a silane product such as Dryzone as per instructions You "may" have to replaster some but in such a young house one would hope not - suck it and see? Chris PS I know what a Sculler is - what is a Scullster?
Reply to
mail
wrote
Thanks to all From my investigation, I believe that the damp is residual rather than active IYSWIM. When we moved into the place there was a visible area of damp at top-of-slab level (albeit close to the leak site), so I would expect the sub-base of the house in general to have got pretty saturated. I suspect (and am hopeful) that damp we are now seeing is evaporation of this residual water through and around the slab. The plastic tiling applied to the entire ground floor will have trapped moisture in the slab very effectively (this tiling has all been removed).
theScullster is nothing more than a nickname based on the word meaning to row.
Phil
Reply to
TheScullster

Site Timeline Threads