Finish for interior door wooden sill

Our front door is in an extension. The connecting inside door takes nearly all household traffic, and making a proper sill that looks respectable is one of my now-retired tasks.

It's 150mm wide and I'm going to make it in 2 pieces of oak, one for under the door and the other for the 100 mm wide frame.

Bearing in mind the heavy traffic which is encouraged to change it's footwear in the hall, but er... doesn't always (!), what finish is suggested ?

Thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Danish oil - easily restored with use. Oak doesn't take varnish well.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan - that was my thinking but I was being persuaded otherwise by the chart on this website

of useful stuff on that site but it doesn't include your bit of advice, that now I think about it I have heard somewhere in the dim and distant past. The 'easy repair' factor of oils was attracting me.

Thanks again

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Interesting site. I guess wax would also be a good alternative.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan