Stud Finder

Somebody asked recently about a stud finder, don't know if this is of interest:

Price is ludicrous.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

That seems to be a thing where instead of beeping to say it found a wooden stud, it shows a picture of a wooden stud instead. Looks like a bit of accelerometer trickery to show you 'where' it is by inertial tracking.

Holding both the unit and the phone in different hands seems like terrible ergonomics :)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I'm waiting for the AI-powered version with 3D rendering of the studs, and showing if that T&E is red/black or blue/brown ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

The picture at the bottom of this article, is a match for the item. Presumably the company provided some "input" for the article.

"A 3D imaging stud finder that utilizes RF technology to distinguish between materials behind the wall."

It doesn't say the word "RADAR".

Whereas here, it does say RADAR.

"Walabot is one of the first companies to use RF radar to create 3D images on the screen. The device has the capability to see 4 inches (10cm) deep behind a drywall or concrete. it can detect normal things which you would expect behind a wall like studs, wiring and pipes. The device can help you see leaks, broken pipes, structural damage to your foundation and even detect little unwanted guests like rodents."

And I'm sure the rodents smile and give you their good side, when you scan them.

There is a video on the gearbrain page, which shows the "proxy" for a stud, when it spots a stud. But when it spots a non-stud, a grainy blob appears on the screen of the smartphone instead. It does not particularly speak of high resolution. If a rodent was present, presumably the only info would be the relative size, like small irregular blob for mouse, large irregular blob for rat. You won't be able to see the rat smiling at you, unfortunately.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Read the low star reviews on Amazon, especially the reviews where people have actually attempted to use it!

Reply to
alan_m

It doesn't matter how much AI you incorporate into the device if the underlying principle of operation is somewhat dodgy or unreliable when operated in real world conditions.

Basic unit Crap in = crap out.

AI unit Crap in = highly processed crap out.

Reply to
alan_m

Climate change!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As usual, Big Clive has a teardown (from 7 years ago):

It does seem to be able to do 2D detection.

If it's sending out pulses and looking for returns then I suppose that does count as phased array radar.

Clive's one has 18 detectors in a grid pattern. Maybe they can get additional resolution from phasing them, I don't know. It looks like some of the other versions have slightly more antennas.

A dev kit is available with more details of the sensors in action:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yep, was me, back to magnets :-)

Although there is one due at Lidl tomorrow so I might give it a go:

Even if it worked . . .

Reply to
RJH

And what its CSA is, and whether it has VIR insulation (plus the condition of it :-) )

Reply to
Andrew

From a brief play, it seems pretty good - reliable on electrical cables, and finds studs fairly well. Metal a bit more hit/miss.

Reply to