Stud finder?

Hi,

I was watching ITV's all night news last night and an advert came on for one of those laser levels. It was a US ad but selling the product over here and, gasp, you got a free stud finder with it.

Now, isn't a stud finder of no use over here in the UK? In fact, what exactly is it? I mean, in old UK houses you drill into the wall and on new houses you usually have a gap behind plasterboard which involves all sorts of tricks if you wish to hang something heavy.

I can understand a device to spot electrical cables, pipes, etc but, um, what is a stud finder and is it any use in the UK?

Thanks,

John.

Reply to
John Smith

On 14 Oct 2004, John Smith wrote

If it's a plasterboard wall, the gaps you mention are the spaces between the studs, and it's more secure to hang a heavy object (or shelf supports, say) from a stud or studs than by using hollow wall plugs.

Not a hugely important thing, but that's what I imagine one would use it for.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

It helps to locate wooden structural members behind plasterboard. This might be the framing inside (often upstairs) stud partitions between rooms - or ceiling joists.

I agree that if you have block walls lined with plasterboard, held on by dabs, a stud finder won't help - but it will still help with ceiling joists, and you might have hollow internal walls where it is useful.

Reply to
Set Square