Find stud without stud finder

I lost my stud finder. I read where you can detect nails using a magnet suspended from a piece of string. It does not work. It does detect the metal strips where the walls intersect. Is there another method?

Thanks

Reply to
Andy

Tap on the drywall with your knuckle. The stud will sound different.

Reply to
gfretwell

The magnet WILL find drywall screws or nails if you do it right. Not easy, but DEAD ACCURATE

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I use a magnet out of an old 5 1/4" hard drive. I can just stick it to the wall where and nail is. It even works on plaster where nail are buried in the plaster, not at the surface.

Reply to
Bob F

I may order one of these. They are much stronger than traditional magnets.

Neodymium Block Magnet 1 Inch 1/2 Inch 1/8 Inch N52 Super Strong

Andy

Reply to
A K

You need a strong magnet. I use the crescent shaped ones from old hard drives. They're pretty thin, so put a 3-4" piece of tape on it to prevent dropping it. Lightly rub it on the wall until you get a hit. It'll stick to any nail or screw. Easy.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I stillhave mny dad's old original magnetic stud finder - like a compass.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I tried a compass.

It only responds to LARGE pieces of iron.

Andy

Reply to
A K

I think the methods here are better, but for the record they used to recommend nailing a thin nail where the holes would not be seen, esp where it woudl be covered by molding, and judging by how easily the nail went in the hole.

ONce you think you've found a stud, to make sure, generally the next one is 16" away, except at the end of walls, sometimes.

But the electronic stud finders are great. My brother always buys me the best presents. I didn't even know I wanted one.

Reply to
micky

If your smartphone has a compass and a mostly flat back, you can use a stud finder app. They work well in my experience and are easy to use.

Reply to
M. L.

I installed 3 stud finder apps.

I am afraid that they are "useless at teats on a boar."

Andy

Reply to
A K

I got one of these.

Cheaper than the usual stud finder and much better.

Stanley 47-400 Magnetic Stud Finder

A K

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That should do it.

Reply to
Bob F

On wallboard, it is pretty easy to find the studs by tapping on the wall alone.

Reply to
Bob F

That's what I used to do with reasonable accuracy for decades.

Reply to
Xeno

That's what I did for decades too, verifying with a 1/8" drill bit. But a strong magnet hangs on the screw/nail every time. Easy.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Actually a 6 penny finish nail or one of the nails they use on those picture hooks is a better choice, much smaller hole. These days a stud finder is so cheap, anyone hanging more than a small picture or two should buy one.

Reply to
gfretwell

Are you saying that the magnet would find screws or nails that "missed" going into the 2x4 ?

Andy

Reply to
A K

Yes - along with the ones that DID hit the stud> - up to you to to decide which ones is which.

Reply to
Clare Snyder