Stud finder?

Would anyone care to recommend a stud finder?

My ears don't seem able to pick out the right spots by gentle tapping. This is a modern plaster board internal wall and hopefully not foil backed.

Somewhere I have the triangular multipurpose job supplied by Draper but no confidence in it being able to find a tree in sunlight.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Zircon Triscanner Pro. RS stock number 493-3370

It is the only one I have used that actually works well enough to trust.

(They also seem to have a dedicated stud finder now that is a bit cheaper. Cat number 493-3364)

Reply to
John Rumm

Tim Lamb wrote on 14/05/2005 :

Then I would suggest your technique might be wrong. I turn my hand palm towards me and drum my finger nails against the plaster board rapidly, moving left and right listening for the change in tone. I mark the spot, then further confirm it with more light drumming. I follow this with probing with a thin bladed screw driver.

It just takes a little practise.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

OK Just the job, Ta. Handy for finding nails in recovered timber before sawing as well.

Tapping the finger nails does not seem to work for me. I avoid singing in company which may be related to tone recognition:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In my experience, this one finds stud edges to within a few mils - their operating instructions are basically 'slide from LtoR, mark where it first beeps, that's pretty much the LH edge of the stud. Repeat sliding from RtoL, that's pretty much the RH edge of the stud. Drill yer 'ole halfway between them two marks'. Works well for me...

Stefek

Reply to
Stefek Zaba