Gas cooker hobs not lighting

Hi, I have a Zanussi dual fuel cooker plugged into the eletrics and gas for the hobs.
When I try and turn the hob gas on and use the ignition to spark, the gas doesn't light up, I've also tried using a match and it still doesn't light to a flame?
The gas has been switched off for about 6 months and only recently got turned back on again
Thanks for any help!
Daz
snipped-for-privacy@rayneressex.com wrote:

It doesn't work with a match? - then presumably no gas is actually coming out when you switch the gas on? Probably got a safety feature to stop the gas if the ignitor isn't working. I assume you do have live gas in the house (eg, do you have a working gas boiler or gas fire?)
Check the hob is receiving its mains power for the igniter - where does it get it? Is there a plug or wall switch turned off (could be in the units next to the oven maybe? Or a fuse blown for some reason?
David

Probably the pipe work has filled with plain air in the 6 months due to diffusion or leakages. As there is something coming out of the nozzles the gas is being supplied at one end, so run the gas until you can smell it then it should light OK. If you have a cold, just wait for a minute or so.
rusty

PS if this is the problem, its best to open all gas appliance taps for a while and flush the air/gas mixture out. It is potentially explosive and a flame could blow back down the pipes, though very unlikely unless the appliances are extremely old.
On Sun, 15 May 2005 11:44:26 +0100, Rusty wrote:

Perhaps rusty you would have been better to point the OP to the Gas Fitting FAQ?

Good point. Didn't know it existed. Much more detail there.
The OP may have a tiny leak in the pipework. May be worth having it checked out.
rusty
Hi Guys good news!
I switced the gas on then off again a few times during the day and the hobs lit!
Thanks for your help
Daz