LPG domestic cooker not requiring electricity supply?

Where can I get an LPG domestic 60cm x 60cm cooker on which everything works without an electricity supply? I mean each ring, the grill, and the oven - I don't care about any clock etc.

Harry Davis

Where can I get an LPG domestic 60cm x 60cm cooker on which everything works without an electricity supply? I mean each ring, the grill, and the oven - I don't care about any clock etc.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

caravan shop maybe?

maybe they nneed 12v for the auto igniters tho

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our fairly standard gas hob works fine during power cuts, you just need a match/lighter to light the gas instead of using the spark ignition.

Reply to
tinnews

NT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u14g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

Unfortunately, quite a lot of people are telling me their gas ovens made in the last 5 years won't work without electricity.

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

Yes, this is true. I first ran into this over 30 years ago, with a two-oven unit. The smaller, upper one needed electricity, the lower, large one, did not. Cookers I've had since then all require electricity for the oven to operate. Of course, the hob can be lit manually, but baking and roasting are out of the question.

Reply to
S Viemeister

@u14g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

You could get one older than that.

NT

Reply to
NT

innews: snipped-for-privacy@u14g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

I thought most standard 60x60 "gas cookers" have had electric, not gas, ovens for much longer than that.

Reply to
newshound

Not all. Mine doesn't need electricity once it's lit, either. It's a Beko Cascade 50 from Comet if you're looking round. The sales droid said that electricity was required all the time, but he was mistaken, as the flame failure devices are all the old fashioned "thermocouple and solenoid valve" type.

Reply to
John Williamson

And to keep this on topic for the thread, it can be rejetted to use LPG using an official manufacturer's kit. ;-)

Reply to
John Williamson

A chandlers. They are still sold for use on (large) boats and will be comprehensively fitted with flame failure devices. You'll need a sensible traditional supplier. Most dealing with "yotties" only sell tiny versions.

Some commercial ovens will also work.

TBH even ones that have an electricity supply should be functional without one. The electricity provides a spark and operates the clock ( if fitted). I bought a cheap 60cm gas cooker with gas oven from Argos two years ago to replace one in a rented house. It cost all of £180 I think and also worked without electricity.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Only with the proviso that they don't have oven timer controls. If you can programme the oven then you can be pretty sure that nothing will work without electricity.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

NT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@12g2000vba.googlegroups.com:

Any idea where?

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis

Not if the flame sense device is electronic

Reply to
geoff

I can't recall ever seeing a gas oven with automatic controls. Oh they do exist - can't see the point myself. However I think you're wrong to say "nothing will work" the electric oven/gas hob unit that I have has a timer and the hob works when there is a power cut and the oven stays in manual mode, it just doesn't do anything because... it's electric.

Reply to
Steve Firth

snipped-for-privacy@u14g2000vbm.googlegroups.com:

Eh?

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Single cell (1.5V alkaline) igniters ate pretty common on domestic stoves - shouldn't be that hard to find on a caravan stove either.

Reply to
Ian Field

Possibly freegle or freecycle via yahoo webmail - there's usually aswapshop if you don't mind handing over cash.

Reply to
Ian Field

In message , Ian Field writes

Anything in a caravan will run on 12v.

Reply to
hugh

John Williamson wrote in news:a0d3l0FgsvU1 @mid.individual.net:

Thanks for this. Do you need an electrical supply for the ignition? Or can you run the whole thing without electricity, and light both the hob and cooker with a match? Thanks again!

Harry

Reply to
Harry Davis