stud and cable finder

Which one is a good stud and cable finder under £75?

I have found this one

if possible, I would like one able to locate metal and liv wires up to 1.5 inches deep, the one above is only 0.75 inches.

Even after carefully selecting a spot far enough from a mains socket, hit two phone cables which required a lot of work to fix.

Will phone cables be detected?

Thanks,

Antoni

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

I wouldn't count on the stud detection on that being very good.

Go to your local B&Q's hand tools section (near the spirit levels etc) and get yourself a stud detector that looks like this (costs about =A316):

a stud detector it's superb but unfortunately it doesn't have live wire/copper detector but you could get a good one those separately and they're not too expensive.

Reply to
cucumber

You can get the Zircon Triscanner Pro from RS for about £40. That has all the facilities you require. The only thing it can't do is find studs through metalised foils.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you John, that looks like the one to go for.

The only thing is that I did, some time ago, tried one, and would giv me erratic readings and had to return it. Perhaps there was somethin wrong with that unit

-- asalcedo

Reply to
asalcedo

You could always try dowsing for the cables!

Reply to
tinnews

Didn't someone confirm a few months ago that it can still find the nail/screw heads going into the studs?

Reply to
Ian White