When did Lead Paint Stop?

Hi all

I am sifting my way through upgrading 1970s dump and wondered whether it would be safe to use a blow lamp for paint stripping. The last 2 door frames have been stripped using Nitromors, but this takes forever (one application for each layer of paint).

So, the question is, will interior paint used in 1973 onwards contain lead? Is there any way to check other than submitting yourself to the fumes and waiting to see if the respiratory system packs up?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Take a look here; lots of info and advice.

daviewulz

Strangely, using a proper blow lamp on lead paint isn't a problem, as the high temperature reduces the compound to something less dangerous. I was led to believe that the same is not true of electric "hair dryer" type units. The worst method is to sand it off.

I may be mistaken, however, so check first and don't come to me with a liability claim!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The labels on several cans of paint in my 'collection' include warnings to be careful about stripping "pre-1960s" paint due to lead content concerns; so on that basis you should be OK.

If you're really paranoid about it you can buy little test kits from B&Q etc just for this purpose.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanks guys - excellent help

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The DEFRA guide says "Hot-air guns should only be used so that it will only cause softening of the paint film - do not burn the paint as this will give off fumes. The gun setting must be below 450°C." so I think you may well be wrong.

HLAH

I don't doubt it! My memory isn't quite what it used to be.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Too much stripping old paint with a blow torch maybe? ;-)

HLAH