when did lead paint first come into use?

I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses when it was first used. Many of the houses around here date back to the 1700s and have original windows and trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s? Thanks!

Reply to
RobR

I know it was use in the early 1900's. Don't know about previous.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The lead paint on an old house is probably covered by coats of newer paint. If it is covered or not covered, don't eat it and you'll be OK. It's not like asbestos. If it is flaking off because now is the first time that the house fell into disrepair, now you have an immediate concern, which it to not let toddlers into the house.

-B

The one time I tried to research this the best answer I could find was that lead has been used for centuries.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

The above link says lead was used in paint as far back as 1884, but I've seen other mentions that say accounts of childhood lead-paint poisoning were already known by that time.

Reply to
Hopkins

RicodJour

Yeah, the Romans used it in plumbing

Reply to
Hopkins

Amazing that it took from 1910 to 1977 to get it out of household paint.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

White lead in linseed oil or red lead in linseed oil have been the standard white or dull red paints for centuries. Way before the 1700s.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

According to my encyclopedia, the ancient Romans are believed to be the first to use white lead as pigment in paint, in the 400s B.C.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Japanese used white lead on timber ends in traditional builtings - houses and temples. I'm not sure when it was first used but some temples go way back. TB

Reply to
tbasc

From what I've heard, they also used lead acetate as a sweetener (while the peasents used honey). Of course, we now know what that can do to you.

Reply to
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

This may not be true. Paint dust can be on the surface and when kids touch a surface and put their fingers in their mouth they are eating lead. That is why there was a recall of some vinyl blinds a few years back. The paint problem is so big no one wants to touch it. Kind of like old wiring in old houses. Another problem that no one wants to think about.

Reply to
Art