I've read it was banned in 1978, that levels were higher
prior to 1950, but I can't find any info that discusses
when it was first used. Many of the houses around here
date back to the 1700s and have original windows and
trim. Was lead paint in use in the 1700s? 1800s?
The lead paint on an old house is probably covered by coats of newer paint.
If it is covered or not covered, don't eat it and you'll be OK. It's not
like asbestos. If it is flaking off because now is the first time that the
house fell into disrepair, now you have an immediate concern, which it to
not let toddlers into the house.
This may not be true. Paint dust can be on the surface and when kids touch
a surface and put their fingers in their mouth they are eating lead. That
is why there was a recall of some vinyl blinds a few years back. The paint
problem is so big no one wants to touch it. Kind of like old wiring in old
houses. Another problem that no one wants to think about.
The above link says lead was used in paint as far back as 1884, but
I've seen other mentions that say accounts of childhood lead-paint
poisoning were already known by that time.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.