BATHROOM TILE GROUT CRACKING

I will try to be more specific about problem. These are 6x8 " tiles installed on new primed 1/2" plywood on 16" studs above the new tub. Corners are caulked. There are hairline cracks about 25% of the area. I noticed these about a month or two after job was done. (about 2 years) Have never used the shower because of the cracks. I maybe could spray silicone sealer on the walls but don't want to take a chance. Wondering what I should do.

Reply to
j4h

Wrong from the start. Either use mortar, a cementious backerboard, or Hardibacker for a substrate. With plywood, all bets are off. Plywood is not receommended for tile substrates in showers or baths, ever. Your problems will only increase once you start using the shower. Who advised this to you? I'd string them up from a telephone pole.

Rip it out, start over. Sorry.

Reply to
G Henslee

I don't know who except I thought it was a good option. The house had

1" tiles before repair on plywood and about 25 years old. The tiles were good except outdated. The bottom row had some loose tiles. You are right, a different backing was also recomended but I chose plywood.
Reply to
j4h

use green board or hardy board next time. Its made for just that purpose.

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg