Clearing high gutters and valleys

Been putting this off for weeks but its now or never and can't be never.

Any suggestions how to clear gutters and valleys about 6 metres up? Any special tools I can buy, a 6m carbon poles with a scraper or something?

Cheers

Reply to
TonyK

I cut a semicircle of plastic and fixed it to the end of a long garden cane. Certainly saves much repositioning of ladders.

Reply to
Roger Cain

?cId=A335540&ts=68727&id=17196I have a similar problem; my garage is so close to the house that it's impossible to get a ladder to the gutters.

Reply to
Jim Hatfield

Exactly what I use all the time, saves shifting ladders about.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You may still need to work from a ladder but this tool has a lightweight aluminium telescopic handle, adjustable from 5'3" (160cm) up to 9'6" (290cm), providing a working height of up to 16ft (5m) depending on your height & reach:

There are several of these gutter cleaning kits, Google also found this:

It wouldn't be difficult to make a similar attachment and fix it to any telescopic handle, diy.

Reply to
Codswallop

Only trouble with those is tha you can't see what you are doing or if it's working, and it looks like the only way to get rid of the crap is to scrape it into the downpipe - which could block it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Very true. I would first check with a mirror on the end of a pole if I wasn't able to climb high enough to see into the gutter. If it looked liked a few kilos of rotting leaves then I wouldn't let them go down a drainpipe!

Reply to
Codswallop

I made one about 20 years ago. It's made out of 2 lengths of copper pipe (I think they are 2x2m lengths). The top is another piece bent over like the top of a walking stick so the end points down. The end is hammered almost closed to make a flat jet. You hook this over the gutter edge and connect a garden hose to the other end. Then gradually pull this along the length of the gutter from the ground, and it clears it out. If you have any weak joins, it's quite good at jetting out the rubber seals too;-)

Some limitations: Made with 15mm copper pipe, this device will only support it's weight when held vertically (or when hooked over a gutter). Carrying it from one length of gutter to another (e.g. front to back of house) is quite a challenge. The muck gets washed down the walls of the house. You will need to hose them down afterwards. You will get absolutely soaked -- wear some storm proof clothing. You will need waterproof goggles too, or you will spend the next few days getting sand out of your eyes. Your neighbours will find this absolutely hilarious and will all come out to watch...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel