Straw Poll "Are you satisfied with hot water from a combi boiler"

Don't ever worry about me. I've been insulted by experts. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The sock puppet returns...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

| In article , | Doctor Drivel wrote: | > As many of the idiots on this thread spurted forth, combis are full of | > silly old wives tales, which are untrue, pasing off old crap models as | > the norm. Want two baths to be filled simultaneously? One can do it. | > Just choose the model. | | Some of us are used to 25 litres plus per minute of piping hot water to | fill our baths regardless of external conditions.

Maybe I have seen that a few times in hotels, never at home. I find 8l/m, measured, perfectly satisfactory. Fills a bath in about 7 mins, as would the proposed combi. I have set my conventional system to simulate the proposed combi and there is little difference between what I have now and the proposed combi. I have no idea where people get 15 mins for a bath from, maybe it is an Urban Legend.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:03:03 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" scrawled:

Not as sad as the fact that his plane didn't crash.

Reply to
Lurch

56 litres? That would bearly be enough to paddle in.

Not really - just simple arithmetic for what is required for a standard sized bath as opposed to a bidet.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Dave Fawthrop writes

What do you do, just wash your feet? or are you talking about a baby bath? 56 litres is about half of a small bath so its easy to see where

15 mins comes from, its the time a 8l/m combi takes to fill up a small bath of 100l. My bath takes 180l, I'll leave that calculation to you
Reply to
David

| In article , Dave Fawthrop | writes | >On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:08:33 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" | > wrote: | >

| >| In article , | >| Doctor Drivel wrote: | >| > As many of the idiots on this thread spurted forth, combis are full of | >| > silly old wives tales, which are untrue, pasing off old crap models as | >| > the norm. Want two baths to be filled simultaneously? One can do it. | >| > Just choose the model. | >| | >| Some of us are used to 25 litres plus per minute of piping hot water to | >| fill our baths regardless of external conditions. | >

| >Maybe I have seen that a few times in hotels, never at home. I find 8l/m, | >measured, perfectly satisfactory. Fills a bath in about 7 mins, as would | >the proposed combi. I have set my conventional system to simulate the | >proposed combi and there is little difference between what I have now and | >the proposed combi. I have no idea where people get 15 mins for a bath | >from, maybe it is an Urban Legend. | | What do you do, just wash your feet? or are you talking about a baby | bath? 56 litres is about half of a small bath so its easy to see where | 15 mins comes from, its the time a 8l/m combi takes to fill up a small | bath of 100l. My bath takes 180l, I'll leave that calculation to you

I am describing experiments done with a 10 litre bucket, a stop watch and a digital thermometer. I then used the full bath and found it satisfactory.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The leader of the moron pack is at it again. I have literally given put reading most of what they write as it is totally predicable and not much value at all.

Reply to
timegoesby

The leader of the moron pack is at it again. I have literally given put reading most of what they write as it is totally predicable and not much value at all.

Reply to
timegoesby

The leader of the moron pack is still at it. Most of this thread is infested with them.

Reply to
timegoesby

In article , Dave Fawthrop writes

So how big is your bath then? and would you say you like a hot/warm/medium bath? would you say you a standard human being?

Reply to
David

Abundantly. we have 14 l/min at 30 degree temp rise so running at 55 degrees HW temp gives more than ample supply for shower, and as we rarely use baths anyway, it's still well ample for a bath fill when 'er self want's a soak.

I used to have a HW tank heated from a backboiler with a "real" powershower pump feeding a mixer shower. The HW tank would empty in about 7 minutes and the shower would then run tepid.

So, a combi is the dogs bollarks. I would never go back to stored HW.

Reply to
PeTe33

But at least it's English...

And posted only once...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are of course entitled to your opinion. But most who like a decent bath would disagree with you. I like a bath to fill in the time it takes to get undressed etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Out of curiosity could you take a guess at how many kW of combi boiler power would be required to fill a bath at the same rate as a stored hot water system?

Reply to
Peter

It would depend on the stored system, as some can be very poor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It depends on how effective your 'stored' arragements are but if you took a typical 20 litre/min of mixed water (a correctly installed unvented system might well give twice that). The you'd be looking at around 50kW more or less depending on the inlet water temp.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

| You are of course entitled to your opinion. But most who like a decent | bath would disagree with you. I like a bath to fill in the time it takes | to get undressed etc.

Well I have no problem getting undressed in 30 sec, so with your 100l bath, you must have 200l/min. I very much doubt it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Fine. I'll give you some figures. I get near 30 l/min of hot at 60C and the same flow rate of 'cold' at probably around 10C since it comes from a storage tank too. So it fills the bath in *about* the same time as it takes to get undressed and get organised for a bath. If I'm in a rush to get washed, I use the shower. Which also delivers the same sort of flow - being an Aqualisa fed from 22mm.

If you'd care to recommend a combi which can match this I'll buy it tomorrow. Unless, of course, it needs a commercial gas supply, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks Ed. That's quite some power for sure. I was concerned about that. So I would be needing a very big gas combi or a three-phase supply to drive some fancy, semi-industrial, Stiebel-Eltron kind of electric device.

Reply to
Peter