micro irrigation / water rules

Hi All,

I was just pondering an idea (probably for next year now) re a micro irrigation system for my small garden produce strip (full of runner beans atm). ;-)

I was thinking of using a submersible pump in a water butt (small fish pond type) rigged up to some of that perforated hose or kits you can buy. The pump would be on a timeswitch that would be indoors (low voltage stuff outdoors).

The butt(s?) would be primarily fed via one of those rain-savers on the main house downpipe (end of terrace Victorian house so it's all the rear main roof and all the rear addition and extension).

(This is the bit I would like clarification re the regs on please) The water butt would also have a ballcock fitted (fed via some hose from the outside tap and pressure reducer) where if the water level dropped to say less than one third the ballclock would open and fill the butt back up to 1/4 - 1/3. I would probably modify a ballcock mech so that the 'float' worked vertically via some guides in the water butt so that the ballvalve could remain well clear of the water (no back syphoning), and an overflow to ensure no overfilling (not that it should with the 'Rain saver' / ballcock).

The mains feed would probably only be 'live' during the main summer growing season so no issues with freezing of the mains pressure outside components.

It may sound 'over complicated' to some but (but it isn't) but what I am trying to do is automate the process as much as possible whilst making best use of rainwater when available (I'm not on a water meter but just not wanting to 'waste'' good processed drinking water)?

All the best and thanks for your time ...

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Why not use grey water to keep it topped up?

Reply to
Rob Morley

| Hi All, | | I was just pondering an idea (probably for next year now) re a micro | irrigation system for my small garden produce strip (full of runner | beans atm). ;-)

We use five plastic dustbins under the eaves of the garage. Collects enough water for all our gardening needs.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Well, of course I *could* but that would involve more intrusion into the waste systems (bathroom downstairs and pipework underground) and the only grey that would be easy to get to (near the downpipe) only takes the dishwasher and sink (no guarantee that there would be sufficient feed to ensure the butt doesn't dry up in the summer) and too low to easily feed into a butt (without a sump and pumps etc). ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, that ok if you live in 'Fawthrop Towers' with a 60' square garage and space for 5 dustbins!

And you have a 'little man' to appy it to your garden then Dave? ;-)

I'm no gardener (no time, real interest, space, need) but I don't mind producing (some of) my own beans etc.

I'm told such need a 'good watering' and so because I often forget to do so I thought my suggestion might make that task easier / more reliable?

I would rather spend a bit of some time on a mini hydro engineering project than standing in the garden with a watering can .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Without detailed reference to water bylaws I wouls suggest the main objection would be guarding against possible submersion of the ball valve mechanism. How about using a float switch (or two and a relay - start and stop) with a solenoid valve to control the water flow. Make sure the mains discharges above the butt and is positioned to always ensure an air gap no matter how full the butt, thus avoiding back siphonage.

Reply to
John

You really don't want to be storing grey water.

During a hosepipe ban, you can't use their supplied water with a hose, even if you have used it for something else first (such as washing).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Hmmmmm.... wonder if that would include drinking tap water (not that anyone would want to do that) and piddling on the rhubarb

Reply to
Andy Hall

A hosepipe ban is a ban on using hosepipes. Even for beating prisoners and distributing grey water.

Not sure if a gutter around your garden fed from a tap is banned. It breaks the reason for the law, but not the word of the law.

The fact is I shall respect their wishes when they replace or repair the leaky pipes they got for free off the victorians. They waste more water through leaky pipes than people using hosepipes.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

I would probably modify a ballcock mech so that

I remember that one coming up re those 'silent' filler tubes on toilet ball valves and double valves being required on outside taps etc? I though about (but probably didn't put very well) a system (overflow / weir) on the butt that would prevent any possible submersion of the valve)?

How about using a float switch (or two and a relay - start and

That one did go though my mind but was worried about 'over complicating' (in the sense of cost / designing further systems) the concept?

A std ball valve 'ball' and new straight 'shaft' standing vertically in a length of plastic pipe fixed to a plate in the bottom of the butt, joined to the arm where a std ball would be screwed with a simple pivot. The weight of the arm / shaft should ensure that the ball isn't 'too' bouyant (over closing the valve)?

I have extended the system (in my head ) where the output of the low voltage pond pump transformer is split and used to power a 'remote' moisture probe and switch (inhibit) the pump when the moisture levels are suitable (saving more water and avoiding overwatering)?

With the electronics / electrical components being fed by a timer there would be little energy wasted between 'On' points?

???

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

No, it begins to smell after ashort time.

There's plenty of rainwater from the roof, we don't need grey water for the garden.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Hey that's not right! In my commercial premises (Launderette) they CHARGE me extra to remove the 'effluent' which is no different in content than output from a normal domestic washing machine. If they charge me to take it away it must be mine, on the other hand, if it's already their's why am I paying

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson