Micro-biocide furnace filters.

The guy who repaired my parents furnance suggested micro-biocide filters. I usually buy the pleated type for them at Lowes or Depot for about $15.00 a pop, but I don't know if they are treated or not. He also suggested buying an electrostatic air filter unit which attaches to the furnace for addtional filtration. From what I've read, older homes or ducts (my parents house is 60 years old) aren't designed to work well with these.Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

The Flanders Natural Aire are a much better deal than the $15 paper ones.

As for internal air quality, opening a few windows daily all year does more to improve indoor air than any filter, biocide, etc. can ever hope to do.

Reply to
RickH

I'll check out the Flanders Natural Aire. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

An electrostatic works fine in my 82 yo home. I can't think of any reason it shouldn't work fine in any forced air system.

Reply to
Bob F

In fact I was told by an HVAC guy that older forced air systems often had marginal ducts (as they were sized for heat only, while A/C requires more airflow.) Therefore electrostatics are a good choice as they have less airflow restriction than media filters.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Do you know what brands of elecrostatics are considered reliable?

Reply to
shareyourknowledge

most older homes leak so much air it prtobably doesnt matter

Reply to
bob haller

Honeywell is what I've always had.

Reply to