new a/c refrigerant?

I'm in the market to replace my split-system heat pump A/C. An installer = came by today and said that there is a "new r22" that eliminates the = need for the expensive puron (r410). I googled and couldn't find = anything about this "new r22". Has anyone read anything about it?

Jean=20

Reply to
Jean

by today and said that there is a "new r22" that eliminates the need for the expensive puron (r410). I googled and couldn't find anything about this "new r22". Has anyone read anything about it?

Look for R417a a direct drop in replacement for R22. There is also R407C, R421a, HC-a22 and a few more. I haven't used any alternative to R22 yet so I can't comment on it but I have used R416a in place of R12 and it's doing a good job. I haven't had to install or service any Puron systems yet but may have to soon.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Jean

Maybe this is what you are looking for.

Suspose to replace the r22,407 and 417.

I don't know anything about it, but some bulliten boads do not seem to recommend it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Jean

I have not priced it lately, but just how much could the more expensive r401 be ? There are only several pounds in a system.

I did replace my system about 3 years ago and went with the r-22. My thinking is that it operates at lower pressure and has been around long enough to have the bugs worked out of the system. I also had most of a bottle of that gas left from years ago. If I need to add some, I can do that .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hi, If you don't care about environment.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Freon was banned so that penguins wouldn't get sunburned. Then the planet started heating up.

How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

Reply to
HeyBub

The environment cares not whether the R-22 is sealed in a container or inside an A/C system. The only time it becomes an environmental issue is when you release it into the atmosphere.

(oh noes! my car has R-12 in it!)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Supposedly they are phasing out R-22. I'm going to be sad to see it go. Good stuff, does a nice job. As to the other blends and such. Time will tell, if any of them work, and if they will be on the market for a while.

Puron is a brand name for 410a, but you likely knew that already.

One company I work for, they used 416a. It's a bit cheaper than 409a. I may try it for my next jug o juice. 409a works nicely.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have used 409a in the past but found 416a to work better for me. I can use it in an old car or old hermetic because there is no need to change the oil and it runs a lower head pressure which is less of a strain on an old system. I have it running a walk in cooler at a pizza place and the system runs in the hottest weather without straining or overheating.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our

precious bodily fluids Great line from Dr Strangelove, outstanding movie.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

stay away from my bodily fluids....ya pinko commie.

my favorite is Scott in that flix

:-)

od

od