Straw Poll "Are you satisfied with hot water from a combi boiler"

Blowing up never entered the list of hazards. The ones you should be really considering are nothing to do with blowing up but could still seriously ruin both your day and everyone around you. You really ought to be showing improvement this far into your treatment.

the
could
as
Such a

dangerous
Could this be blowing in then?

No, you are just guessing again. Blowing never enters the equation, nor, contrary to what the actress said to the archbishop, does sucking.
message

Total madness.
On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:30:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"

That depth would be very considerable and certainly more than that used in the UK for mains.

ROTFL. Do you have any idea of how much storage and hence length would be needed to achieve that and the flow resistance involved?
32mm MDPE pipe has an inside diameter of 26mm.
To achieve the 300 litres needed to make a difference for your box of tricks, would involve 300,000 cc. volume
300000/(pi x 2.6^2) = 14126cm of pipe.
Over 140m......
You are joking of course......
Much better to get a proper storage system than to play around with this nonsense.
--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
in message wrote:

It is not, about 6 to 8 foot. A JCB can go down 21 foot.

No. The prime main in the street is deeper than that.

as
100 metre rolls are available.

yep.
300 litres?

Nope. The water from the prime deep main pipe is about 10C all the time. This coil ensures it stays at 10C. It will also instantly heat water being in such a long coil surrounded by warm earth.

Nope. Many coils have been installed around gardens and used to pre-heat and coil a house. Constant 10C in summer means you run it through an in-line copper duct battery. Cooling. In winter the cold air coming in is tempered by a 10C pre-heat battery. Quite common in the USA and Germany.
<snip misguided misinformation>

And when precisely was your thermometer last calibrated?
What is the thermal conductivity of the pipe?
......and are you sure that is not the outlet temp from your shanty town water heater?

FFS, do the calculation for a pipe size to deliver 380 litres a minute. You're into fire appliance territory.
--
*I don't work here. I'm a consultant

You were boasting you could get 30 l/min from your hot tap.What calcs did you do? The finger in the air electric caber calculations. 38 l/min from a 25mm MDPE pipe is quite common.
You boasted a combi could not beat your 30 l/min and if one did you would go out and buy it. One has so when are buying it? A Welsher eh!

Now I know you're the same person. It says *380* litres per minute, you thick shit.
--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of shit.

wrote in message wrote:

minute.
I am Dr Drivel for certain. Now button up your cardigan.

.....and timegoesby when you use your other two neurons
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Yes of course you do. Now get back to bed and keep taking the tablets.....preferably the whole packet.
snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

What do you plan to use for heating though?
You have about 60kW to play with from the supply. Space heating boilers are going to be at least 15kW. If you have other gas appliances such as a cooker you potentially lose another 5 to 10kW there. At best that seems to leave you 40kW to play with for the Riannai.
That does not sound any better than one of the bigger combi's, but requires two boxes to do it.
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

I have a few options. a) Fit the next size up of gas meter. The 1" pipe can stay, as a 1" pipe can deliver more than 6 cubic metres as the small domestic meter is restricted to. With a large meter I could fit a combi to do the kitchen and utility room to not rob the Rinnai for flow and pressure. b) Take on IMMs suggestion of having a flow switch in the cold inlet pipe to the Rinnai. This is wired in series in the boiler room thermostat circuit. When the Rinnai makes hot water the CH boiler is switched off. I suppose like a combi sort of thing. As the Rinnai fills baths quickly the CH should not be off for long.
Cost? Rinnai about 850 and a Glow Worm combi is about 670. A total of 1520. That is very competitive to fill two baths or run two Tower Shower continuously. And they save space and are easy to fit. It cost about the same using a small system boiler. The combis and system boiler are about the same in cost.

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

What will transco charge for that? Will the supplier be happy to keep you on a domestic contract with a comercial meter?

I think I would want to see a second independant interlock on that. As you describe it, you have a single point of failure on a safety critical system. Should the flow switch fail (or more likely get sluggish) it could result in a hob being extinguished etc.

I would not expect a small boiler + thermal store (for example) is going to be much bigger than two boilers/multipoints
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

I am to contact Transco soon. There is no such thing as a commercial meter, only commercial tariffs.

IMM went on about U6 meters having an overload capability. That sounds sensible. Any overload would be marginal. All appliances would have a gas pipe back top the meter.

You have missed the point. The Rinnai will give the flow rate for ever. With storage I would require an exceptionally large, expensive, space consuming cylinder or thermal store. Storage will eventually run out, an instant heater will not. It is the application, and finding the appliances to suit, at the right cost, not having prejudices. The Rinnai is brilliant at what it does. Storage is bursty. A lot of flow for a short time, then nothing. The exception is the floor mounted combis, which do both. High flows, then reverts to a combi when the storage has run out. The best of both. Think hard about it. I did because as I had to deliver. It really does focus the mind.

snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

But you left yours on the top deck of a bus many moons ago.

This one lower than whale shit. Implying people leave bombs on buses. Not funny Buster.

Dribble you have one very seriously warped mind if you think that's what I implied.