Strange telephone call

I advise them that my company (dont have one) records all calls for training purposes! the phone usually goes down sharpish.

Reply to
SS

A credit card number.

Reply to
Huge

Mike.

I had one tell me to look in the Prefetch folder and I would find hundreds of 'infected' files there that would need 'cleaning out' - he put the phone done when I told him that I had disabled [1] this feature in the registry of Windows XP SP3 and that he was trying on a f****g [2] scam to get me to let him have remote control access [3] to my computer so that he could download some rather useless program to clear out legitimate files for a fee - and using my debit card to pay.

[1] Yes I have done this, and no, I don't find that the computer noticeably takes longer to load files or causes other problems. [2] I was in a bad mood that evening as this was the third such call in four days - they haven't rung since. [3] This feature is also disabled on my computer and two others in the house.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

I get frequent calls from an Asian man asking where I buy my gas. I reply by asking him where he buys his - which seems to confuse him. I say I'll tell him when he tells me.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

WTF is STWNFI

Reply to
F Murtz

In message , Peter Scott wrote

Alan

I have better things to do with my time. I simply say I don't take cold calls and put the phone down.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

"She That Whom No Fairer Is" Thomas Bateson

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Bottle blonde?

Reply to
Skipweasel

Agreed, but then they often ring back.

I prefer to put on an "official" voice and quickly say "Password please" and/or "You shouldn't be calling here and a note has been made of your location. Don't do it again! Goodbye"

Works for me and I'm seldom recalled. Makes me I feel better too :-)

Reply to
John Weston

I had one a few weeks ago, from a woman. I replied that it was a scam and put the phone down.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

We started to get loads of spam calls from India not long after taking out an ICICI ISA - hardly a coincidence I suspect. In the end we bought a TrueCall box ("as seen on Dragons' Den") and that filters out all junk calls.

Reply to
Reentrant

your wallet......

--

Gill Smith

Oh dear. It's a comedy programme.

Reply to
Peter Scott

After a bit of a search I think that might be (for the sake of accuracy) "...(that) she than whom no fairer is".

Needless to say, my guesses were wide of the mark, so thanks for that.

TF

Reply to
Terry Fields

Joining the telephone preference service cured it for me, now I get annoyed by American based calls.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

"Congratulations, you have won a luxury crui......ClickBRRRRRRRRR"

Reply to
Skipweasel

Simpler still if you don't ever receive legitimate overseas call, a Truecall unit. Second best invention after the TiVo.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

If it works the way I think it does, then there's a potential problem - quite a few organisations you might want to hear from withold their number. The local police usually do, as do most hospitals, for example.

Reply to
Skipweasel

In message , Dave wrote

It will work for most UK calls but most of the S**T I'm now getting is international. I just let the answerphone pick up the call and 99% of the cold callers ring off during the outgoing message.

There area few (Paris Disneyland) who will leave attempt to leave an automated message, but will start during the outgoing message.

Barleycard credit card fraud department have a sophisticated auto phone service. On detecting an answerphone it waits until the outgoing message has finished and then gives a sensible message to contact them.

Reply to
Alan