Stockpiling boilers?

I had a new (replacement) gas CH boiler professionally (Gas Safe) installed in m-i-ls house just over a year ago. No mention of having to notify building control. Who is supposed to be notified?

Reply to
Davidm

"If your Gas Safe registered business has installed a heat producing appliance (such as a boiler or fire), they?ll need to comply with the regulations and notify (self-certify) these appliances with the relevant local authority within 30 days of installation. If you?re a homeowner, it?s also up to you to ensure the Building Regulations are adhered to by making sure your engineer notifies the installation.

How to get a Building Regulations Certificate

Your Gas Safe registered engineer just needs to notify through Gas Safe Register. Once they?ve done this, we will inform your local authority and you?ll receive your Building Regulations Compliance Certificate in the post in 10-15 working days."

(I'm not sure if the 'Building Regulations Compliance Certificate' is actually a thing that must be produced by law, or a nice piece of paper marketed by Gas Safe to keep householders and conveyancers happy. I think the notification is the main thing)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Currently the production of ammonia is very energy intensive.

"Ammonia production causes 1% of total global GHG emissions"

and

"North American producers emit, on average, 2.129 tons CO2 per ton NH3 produced. North American producers emit more CO2 per ton ammonia than most but, on the other hand, Chinese producers emit, on average, 4.429 tons CO2 per ton NH3 produced. Again, this data relates to 2010."

I really can't see it happening as a serious fuel.

Reply to
Fredxx

Ricin or home made nerve gas is much cheaper and more easily obtainable.

Reply to
newshound

That's usually because they use the same steam reformation process that is typically used to produce Hydrogen from natural gas. That is a fairly cheap and moderately energy intensive, but also also produces lots of CO2.

An alternative is to use electrolysis to to split sea water into H and O2, and then produce the ammonia from that "green" hydrogen. However cost wise this is usually far higher because it uses about 8 times the energy just to generate the hydrogen.

However the argument goes that if you have some non dispatchable intermittent generation capacity (i.e. wind. / solar etc) then that could be a good way of utilising that "difficult to use" energy source to accumulate a liquid fuel stock that can be stored and transported relatively easily.

Countries like Iceland already use surplus hydroelectric energy to produce ammonia for fertiliser production using this method.

Reply to
John Rumm

Only because the cost of all the 'green' stuff, plus all the 'warm house' freebies handed out to people on benefits are loaded onto electricity bills. Maybe it is time to spread them over gas and electric bills ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The only thing that is definately going to make a difference to future generations is the population of planet earth and the demands they will impose on it for water, food, housing, healthcare, employment,...

Reply to
Andrew

Not to mention the cost and other practical problems with electric cars. If I live long enough I may well buy a diesel car about a year before they stop being produced, but that date may well be delayed because of a failure to upgrade the electricity supply system.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I think these days it is used for annoying or exercising electrons.

No problem.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

The climate change levy does apply to gas, LPG and solid fuels, albeit at lower rates than for electricity.

Andy Burns

Dead right it isn't. Or to our descendents. But greeny bollocks is going to make everyone a lot poorer; reduce standards of living, and worsen health.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Your 94% efficient boiler just produces heat, the combined cycle generator turns 60ish% of that heat into electricity that is dispatch-able and a deal of the low grade heat at 50ishC could be used in district heating. If the trend is to go electric there is far more utility in generating electricity from gas when the grid demands it that using it in domestic boilers.

Reply to
AJH

No, it's because of the second law of thermodynamics.

Efficiency = (input temp - output temp)/(input temp) for a heat engine.

A gas power station is 30-50% efficient, the rest being waste heat unless you can use it for something like district heating.

Reply to
Max Demian

A combined cycle plant should get your generating efficiency up into the

50% - 60% range.
Reply to
John Rumm

And that is fixing itself with no policy change what so ever.

Reply to
Joey

BS. The population is still going UP and will hit 11 billion at some point. That is 40% more than now.

Reply to
Andrew

Peak is predicted to be 9.4bn in 2070, then starting to fall.

It is already falling in the developed world.

Reply to
Steve Walker

no, its 40-70% efficient actually

and heat pumps are effectively 200-300% efficient in their use of electricity and environmental energy to create heat

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We'll see...

But birth rates are dropping dramatically EVERYWHERE except when they are already right down in the noise.

And India and China COMBINED, by far the two most populous countries arent even self replacing anymore.

And will then have peaked and will start dropping.

We handled the previous 40% increase fine and went from inevitable periodic famine in droughts to now only with a problem when the place has deteriorated into the most obscene levels of civil war and civil chaos so that food cant be delivered or have been stupid enough to let some fool like Kim Jong Il rule the roost.

Reply to
Joey

73,000 babies are born every day in India right now. Their Covid death rate is insignificant by comparison.

Too late. Far too late. Wake up.

Reply to
Andrew