Buderus or Crown Boilers

I'm considering upgrading my heating/hot water boiler in the next year. It still works, but at 30 years it is possibly going to die at some point so I'm starting to plan ahead.

I'm considering either a Buduerus or Crown Boiler.

is the other

I don't have hard quotes, but ball park is $7000 to $7500 for boiler and indirect water heater. Efficiency is 86% so I'll be saving a bit over present heater, but I don't see huge savings. I'm at 75% to 80% now so on

800 gallons I'll cut back 80 gallons or $240 a year. Unless someone show that is incorrect, the payback is very long at $3 a gallon.

Comments welcome.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I use to wire lots of Crown boilers. They were fine and held up well. I do a lot of Peerless now, which I find similar to Crown, and hold up fine as well. I'm not a big fan of Buderus oil boilers, but only because I don't like the layout of the controls. It makes wiring messy, but I sure do love the color.

Reply to
RBM

The Buderus are certainly nice, but do have the "Euro" funkieness to them. With either one, what burner would you get? Carlin, Beckett, Riello...

Reply to
Pete C.

Good point. I don't have a preference. Should I?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

When I did the oil burner service evening class over at Cheney Tech, I kinda liked the Riellos for their simple modular serviceability. Granted I'm not at all in that industry, but I had some evenings to fill...

Reply to
Pete C.

Why not a 92%+ condensing boiler.

Reply to
ransley

I've not seen one for oil. What brand has them?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

One of the nice features of the Buderus is that the burner is enclosed, which deadens the noise to some degree. Almost all boilers that I wire, have Beckett burners on them, but on occasion I'm seeing Riello, which I'm told make less noise. I never see Carlin except on commercial boilers

Reply to
RBM

I've not seen any oil condensing boilers, but a couple of weeks ago I did a really nice Buderus wall hung natural gas unit. It was a piece of work, but in my opinion to complicated for something that I believe should first be extremely reliable, then secondly, be efficient. Tomorrow I'm doing a Peerless propane wall hung condensing boiler. I'm curious how it compares to the Bud. After these things have been around a while, and hopefully prove dependable, I'll consider dumping my oil burner and getting one.

Reply to
RBM

Oil doesn't burn clean enough to do that with an oil burner. A few companies made them but they were a dismal failure in practice.

Reply to
George

Asking that is like asking a pig to whistle dixie.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Its going to be the alot more common on 4-1-07 England made condensing oil law, if I read it correctly. Alot are overseas like Grant, Mistral, Eurocal, Rotex. Maybe these oils are worth a look, Peerless Pinacle 92%, Buderus GB 125 BE 93%, Viesmann Vitoladens 300T 92% [ sounds like a vitamen co ] . Maybe a system 2000 with water heater is more efficent, I hope they are all oil units but you have time to shop. Why not dual fuel, something is always cheaper.

Reply to
ransley

I know of 10 pigs that whistle dixie, Buderus, Viesmann and Peerless are 3 of them

Reply to
ransley

AsI understand the spec sheet efficency the Buderus 125BE the 93% is for under 131f. what is used for radiant tube. I wonder how much they loose at higher temps, I bet maybe 5%.You probably cant do with 131f all winter or maybe at all. If what you have now has more than 10 gallons of water in it your present efficency rating is optimistic, it may have alot more water like 20 -30 gallons.

Here is an Idea I am going to do, Polyisocyanurate foam board 1" is R

7.2, with a dual radiant foil barrier. Sincemy radiators are mostly on cold uninsulated exterior walls I am going to glue and screw a piece of painted foamboard againt walls behind radiators. I know a large percentage of a radiators heat is radiant, so the foil facing should greatly help make it well above R 7.2 , but if you try it the edges of the board must be caulked tight under the boards or condensation and mold will grow behind the foam, I know it happened to me. It should easily gain a few % by not heating a cold uninsulated exterior wall, but instead reflecting that heat inside.
Reply to
ransley

Its going to be the alot more common on 4-1-07 England made condensing oil law, if I read it correctly. Alot are overseas like Grant, Mistral, Eurocal, Rotex. Maybe these oils are worth a look, Peerless Pinacle 92%, Buderus GB 125 BE 93%, Viesmann Vitoladens 300T 92% [ sounds like a vitamen co ] . Maybe a system 2000 with water heater is more efficent, I hope they are all oil units but you have time to shop. Why not dual fuel, something is always cheaper.

****************************************************************** Peerless Pinnacle does not have the Btu output I need. Max is 84,000

The Viesmann offered in the US are 86.9%.

As for dual fuel, I don't have gas available and propane is just as costly as oil.

One factor that will be in my decision is the ability to have it serviced locally. New technology is great, but I don't want to be the first and only one with a new model when it breaks and it is 2 degrees and parts have to come from Europe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was pricing indirect water heaters at Home Depot. I want to add one to my wood boiler that is connected to my baseboard. HOLY SHIT! They want $900.00 dollars just for the god damn tank. It's just a tank with a water coil inside. No heating elements, no burners, no nothing else in it. That is utter highway robbery. I'll build my own before I pay that!

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Isnt that condensing Buderus using all standard parts like Honywell parts? The exchanger is where the issue of life would be.

Reply to
ransley

I've not priced them yet but from what I've seen so far, they are generally well constructed with stainless steel and lifetime warranty. . The Buderus has a "Thermoglaze" interior, but they do not state the material it is applied to. A 40 gallon tank is 238 pounds so there has to be a fair amount of material in there.

The Crown is SS Mega-Stor has a lifetime guarantee. CROWN Boiler Co. warrants the Mega-Stor's stainless steel tank and coil against leakage for as long as the original purchaser owns the home in which it is installed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What do you think of the system 2000, what I read is good, is this just a regular system with HW tank.

Reply to
ransley
************************************************* Never heard of System 2000 until now. I did a search and found this.
Impressive system. I sent for more information. On the video they show that a homeowner in the town where I work has one. I'd like to get the name and go see it and find out how it really works.

My only concern is the electronics. I wonder how reliable and how easily repaired it may be.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski