Stockpiling boilers?

Not really when modern condensing boilers are up to 94% efficient - which is significantly better than even combined cycle generators ... and that's before transmission losses of around 20%.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I haven't read a single article suggesting your fallacy.

No, the plutonium would migrate to bones and being an alpha, beta and gamma emitter would cause damage and cancers over the subject's lifetime.

Of course you won't recognise you've been conned into believing that?

Reply to
Fredxx

OTOH things may change. Perhaps the Building (Climate Change) Act 2025 will bring fitting a new gas boiler within the new offence of "Building against planet". With Punishable by an unlimited fine and a sentence of up to 14 years. And with a new BCO force - uniformed, armed with 12" angle grinders, and authorised to say "Are you feeling lucky, punk?"

Reply to
Robin

It's hard to beat heat pump efficiency of 200-400%, even with transmission losses.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

In message <obednbDXg snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk>, John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null writes

I think it is on the site of RAF Spadeadam in Cumbria

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

I think near the RAF station but not on it. ISTR it's on a site long used for testing things that go bang.

Reply to
Robin

I cannot imagine why anyone would want to do such a thing.

George Carlin's very telling words spring to mind.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Tricky Dicky presented the following explanation :

Likewise here too and they have been at it several years, just in our village.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

+1
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

But per kWhr, electricity is a lot more expensive than gas.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

To avoid future fuel poverty?

Plenty of folk struggle at present to meet their fuel bills. Forcing everyone to install a system that at current energy prices costs more to run will not be popular.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Oh indeed. However, they are bloody expensive to buy and install, require changes to radiators or a switch to underfloor heating (with all the cost and disruption of that) and the improved efficiency only brings the cost of running them down to roughly that of a gas boiler, so it will never pay for itself. So loads of up-front cost and disruption and the bills stay just as high.

How many householders would actually be able to afford to replace a failed gas boiler with a heat pump, at many times the cost, at zero notice? How many people would like to be without heating and hot water for weeks, mid-winter, while everything else was changed? Yes installation could be done faster, but not with fitting under-floor heating and new power cabling to the heat-pump, while still living in the house and trying to install it neatly.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Careful what you type into search engines.

Reply to
mechanic

The whole greeny thing relies on brainwashing. All that will be needed will be more brainwashing.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I've heard of it it as a possible replacement for bunker oil for big ships.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought wrong. I recalled it was a company rather than HMG facility. But it is on the RAF site. I apologise for doubting you.

Reply to
Robin

Well said.

LOL

WHS

Reply to
Spike

Other than Gas Safe registration No. 198312 (and others)

Reply to
Andy Burns

but they weren't intended to go bang on site

Reply to
charles

Still got your head in the sand, Bill? Climate change due to excess CO2 isn't going to make any real difference to most of us. But may well do to our descendants.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News