Gas boilers

I've been told that my electric boiler is useless during a power cut. Are Gas boiler C.H. pumps, timer and control electronics gas powered?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

You can power those from a small generator.

Reply to
GB

So all houses with a gas boiler have a small generator?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

When I installeed CH in my last house - 1960s - I did try to find a 12v pump so the we could cope during power cuts. No such luck

Reply to
charles

Most domestic gas boilers include a low power DC generator.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Does that have enough power for the AC CH Pump?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Not by a very long chalk.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Mine does and a UPS but possibly not the norm for a non DIY person to take sensible precautions against inconvenience.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

So not a lot of use in a power cut then?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Some of us do though my CH is oil. You could also use a redundant UPS for the modest load that the CH pump, burner and controller represent.

Reply to
Martin Brown

None whatsoever.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

hmmmm

Reply to
Andy Bennet

But very useful after a gas cut.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Couldn't you use a match - far cheaper?

Reply to
Andy Bennet

I have the boiler, cooker and micro, which needs electric. The hob works without, if I use a match and a gas fire with no need for electric. In the drive I have the caravan to fall back on in the drive, it can use its own gas for heat, battery to ignite and blow. It has a gas cooker and hob, battery ignition, battery lights. Three way fridge freezer. So that is my final backup option, for an extended power loss.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We have an EV. Always keep it fully charged in the winter months. If we do get an extended power cut in extreme whether we can go and sit in the EV and use the heater to keep us warm, and have hot soup. 40kWh goes a long way!

Reply to
Andy Bennet

You might have had some joy at a chandlers, but your wallet would be bruised.

Reply to
Andy Burns

If they want to keep warm. I have one now.

Reply to
charles

don't live that near the sea.

Reply to
charles

:-)

Not sure mine has. The old one that I took out had two thermistors and an expansion bulb device for the final overtemperature trip.

Reply to
newshound