Sterling prices.

certainly works for everyone else too it seems. as no one seems to be able to explain it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I can;t speak german if I go to germany I can;t get a free hosue or benifits I have to work for 5 years to pay in to the system first before reciving benifits.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Whoosh.

Reply to
Adrian

Trivially easy to explain. Understanding the explanation will be the problem with some.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As a marketing thing it works because a large number of people don't send in their voucher.

I have a friend who runs a company and was advised by some guru to use this tactic. He was sceptical of the claim, but it turned out to be true

tim

Reply to
tim...

DICEGEORGE wrote

But they were the ones that ran the same line about the eurozone and they were completely wrong about that. So if anything it makes sense to recognise that they got that wrong for whatever reason and that they have likely got that wrong now too, for the same reasons.

They will have the same extra paperwork and delays and tariffs and taxes where ever they import them from instead of from Britain.

Yes, but they mostly employ EU citizens now, not Brits and Britain has one of the lowest unemployment rates of the majors in europe, so those who currently work for one of the international car manufacturers will be free to work somewhere else instead.

Sure, but Britain wont have to pay billions to the EU every year and can spend part of that money on those civil servants and lawyers instead and that is employing Brits, not foreigners.

That hasn?t been taught, it's how many feel.

Who cares ? There are bigots in every country.

It might be if it could actually initiate policy. Instead all it can do is accept or reject what some unelected failed politician presents to it.

Reply to
Bosco Green

So you put that above all else. I want to live in a democracy. I believe, though I cannot prove, that we will have an adequate economy outside the EU in the short term and in the long term it may be better than if we stayed in. Bear in mind that after over 40 years in this wonderful EU we have a national debt of some £1.5bn and an annual budget deficit running at about $85bn. Not exactly a roaring success.

Reply to
bert

The same informed opinion that said not joining the euro would be a disaster, that Osborne's austerity budget would be a disaster etc. etc.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

That is already defined by treaty. - They stay.

That is up to them.

Reply to
bert

That wouldn't be the universities which get EU students on student loans which they never repay would it?

Reply to
bert

Economic forecasting isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Which have said they are leaving?

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Jaguar Landrover, Bentley, Rolls Royce, BMW Mini, Nissan Toyota, Honda, JCB Hitachi World Wide Trains HQ, etc. etc.

Reply to
bert

Typical import tariffs into the EU are about 3%. Hardly a deal breaker compared to all the social costs of manufacturing in France for example.

Reply to
bert

According to an article by Norman Lamont free access effectively actually is the equivalent on our exports of an import tariff of 7%. Typical tariff on imports into the EU from non-EU countries is 3% - 7%

Reply to
bert

In article , michael adams writes

A figure of £180k pa was quoted.

Reply to
bert

In article , Mark Allread writes

Our biggest export market currently is the US - and we have no trade agreement in place. What does that tell you about said Trade Agreements.

Reply to
bert

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Largest market for JL is China followed by US.

The EU market is dead and will remain so.

Reply to
bert

In the case of the EU its because all 28 member states have to have their say and will argue incessantly in their own national interest. But they are extremely detailed and complex. But meanwhile the world keep on turning

Reply to
bert

I don't have access to the raw data. I have to rely upon the data published in each report, which I then have to assess as to whether I think it is credible and is based upon reasonable assumptions. I then look at the conclusions and decide whether they are reasonable, given the data used.

I have no idea why, if we have been looking at the same reports, you would come to a different view from me (and, incidentally most of the financial world).

My conclusions are that, if we leave the EU, home based British business will continue much as it has until now. However, those foreign investors who have been using the UK as an entry point into the EU are likely to relocate the bulk, if not all, of the business to another EU country. The effect of that will be a permanent reduction in our GDP. The amount of that reduction is, IMO, the only uncertainty. I think the Treasury figures are unduly pessimistic and that the likely loss will be about 1% of GDP.

Do you, perhaps, think that leaving the EU will magically transform British business and get it to overcome the problems of low productivity, under investment and a a lack of vision that have plagued it since long before we joined the EU? Maybe you think that foreign investors will say blow the profit, we like Britain and will stay there, even though our markets are in the EU.

Reply to
Nightjar