Solvent weld lifespan

Need to make a couple of solvent weld joints. The tine of Osmaweld solution that I have must be getting on for fifteen years old. Does it have a limited life? Should I get some fresh just for a couple two joints?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

test it on offcut.

if its still liquid it should work.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know about the actual life, but the tin I bought (5 years ago) had an expiry warning of about 12 months.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Dad has a tin of Tensol Cement (solvent weld for perspex) which says best before Aug 1969. It still worked when I last used it a couple of years ago.

I think with solvent weld, it's all down to having enough solvent left in the glue. Some solvent welds are just solvent, others have some of the intended substance dissolved in them too, to act as a bit of a filler.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had a similar tin. I tried a test joint with it. No problem at all, I broke the pipe rather than the joint, then I cut the joint and examined the mating surfaces - good weld.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow