JB Weld problem

I have bought 6 JB Weld kits. (by kit, i mean the two tubes). I'm using the JB Kwik (fast dry stuff), to plug nail holes in some used corrigated roofing tin. It works great, except for some reason in all of the kits, the black comes right out of the tube, while the light gray stuff is nearly impossible to get it out. I have to literally step on the tube and put my full weight on it to get it out. On one tube I blew the bottom out of the tube.

It mixes ok and works fine, but it's such a struggle getting it out. Has anyone else run into this? I should mention the temperature has been in the 60s to 80s F. So it's according to the instructions.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'm tempted to contact the company but I wanted to ask if this is a common problem, first.

Reply to
smoking

It's normally thicker (the resin) but not THAT thick! Could it be old stock? See if they have an 800 number.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Sounds like you got some old product.

Call the company. They can translate the code numbers on the ends of the tubes and tell you how old the stuff is. Your next step then depends on the age of the product. If it's still within its expected shelf life, the manufacturer should replace it; if not, then you should return it to the retailer for exchange -- and make sure you get new stuff the second time around.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Take it back. It's old. Epoxys thicken as they age.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I bet its old, look for a date code and call JB it may be too old to cure right.

Reply to
ransley

Old still cures fine. Just hard to work with.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I guess it's pretty obvious, but I suggest you call JB Weld. If it's hard to get out of the tube, I can't think of any idea that would make it easier. Sorry, Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

I know old silicone never cures so call JB

Reply to
ransley

WTF does silicone have to do with epoxy?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Be that as it may. Epoxy just about always cures. That's one of it's advantages over polyester resin.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Old products that you are not aware of being bad when you buy them.

Reply to
ransley

Always check the "sell by" date when you buy eggs!

Reply to
JohnnyD

Properly filled epoxy formulations do not thicken with age, I have some from experimental work in the 1960's that works just fine. The hardeners are a different matter. In some cases they are polyamide based and can thicken if not formulated with neutral type fillers like silica. I have some very old Sears epoxy twin tube kits kept for emergencies, and they continue to perform quite well. In the OP case, the hardener could be the culprit, so I agree, take it back, somebody goofed.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

A few years back I found a caulking tube of something that had cured solid in the tube. I don't recall if it was silicon or not, but I remember it being clear.

We peeled the paper off and had a solid, yet slightly pliable mass.

It didn't smell bad until you put it right next to your nose. Then it stung your nostrils and made your eyes water. That was the weirdest part. 2 inches from your nose, nothing, but get it right next to your nose and it was like smelling salts.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I own and run an epoxy coatings company for 20 years. they do not get thick with age but the part A (resin side) may crystallize like home. Heating will restore it to normal (again like honey). I have head of folks using 28 year old epoxy. -- paul

Reply to
Paul Oman

Now, that's a handy bit of information. Thank you, Paul.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Paul, doesn't it matter that they add fillers or thickeners to the resin? Isn't the coating variety more free of these additives?

Thanks, bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

Heating any epoxy will thin it. Warm also cures faster, not an issue for the op I imagine.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You can let it cool after heating it. This heating just restores it to it's original consistency if it has crystalized. Once you heat it a little, it will stay that way for a while, even after cooling.

Reply to
salty