JB Weld problem

I use the uscomposites 2 to 1 epoxy.

It's slow enough to provide a good bond and the 2 to 1 ratio is easy to achieve for almost any size project. I'm not in a hurry. I buy it by the quart of resin. I also keep a few fillers on hand.
In some cases I just use sawdust or talc powder. This covers me for most requirements. A quart is $24 and lasts me a long time unless I use a lot for something on the boat.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I see that the prices for the USc products are cheaper than the West Systems on that site, but I'd need to factor in shipping to see if it still comes out cheaper than what I pay for West Systems at the local Boat Store.

I haven't seen the USc products on the shelf, but it might be worth looking around.

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I think they only do mail order. I've never seen their stuff on a shelf at a local store. All I see at the boat store is west. I use enough of it that it's cheaper for me.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

e:

Oh yeah, one more argument for the use of JB Weld that hit me last night as I tossed my tool box in the van:

I usually have the baggie with the JB Weld and toothpicks in my tool box. I don't bring my "milk crate West Systems epoxy kit" with me unless I know I will need it.

On a recent job, I had my portable air compressor with me. The "handle" for the petcock on the tank fell off. I mixed up a minuscule amount of JB Weld - right then and there - spread it around the petcock and taped it in place.

I would have wasted a lot more time and product if I had waited until I got home and mixed up some West Systems. Heck, I probably would have lost the petcock handle by then. ;-)

Expensive, sure, but d*mn convenient.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ote:

Covenience is a factor that can't be ignored. I don't do any of this for a living, all my work is diy. So having to break out bigger containers isn't an issue for me.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

re: "I don't do any of this for a living, all my work is diy"

Same for me, if by DIY you mean the kid's houses, the parent's houses, volunteer work and hobbies that require the work be done away from the primary residence.

That's why having some JB Weld in my toolbox makes more sense than hauling around my epoxy kit. I was 350 miles from home when I needed (OK, *wanted*) to fix my compressor. Trust me...I would have lost the part by the time I got home 4 days later. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Old product.

Odds are you picked this up at some mom & pop hardware store that doesn't rotate their stock.

Try purchasing from a different source.

Reply to
mkirsch1