Soft close toilet seat repair ?

A couple of years ago, bought a soft-close toilet seats from Wilkos.
One has packed up, where the soft-close has stopped working for the seat, but is still working for the cover.
Finally got round to removing it for inspection, today, and was a little perplexed by the construction.
Looking at the underside, there are 2 small threads with 7mm nylox nuts that emerge into the centre of the assembly from the outside. However how the seat/cover were actually put in place seems a mystery, as there's no movement left-right to allow it.
I was able to remove the nuts (so there's something holding the shaft) but beyond that can't see how to proceed.
It's tempting to abandon the thing and just get a new one, but SWMBO has remembered that we've already done that - which is the one I am now looking to repair.
on 10/05/2018, Jethro_uk supposed :

It calls for some photos!

I've fitted them for other parts of the family, and IME they all have a limited life before the soft-close fails. I never bothered trying to repair one though.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 10/05/2018 18:57, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Is the noise of a toilet seat falling such a terrible thing? Are the seats soft, too?
--
Max Demian

When you have young male children in a certain age range, some parents worry about it slamming down unexpectedly mid stream, as it were. It's one of those things that happened to someone once, and the infinitesimally small chance of it happening to yours and jeopardising the chance of you having grandchildren later must be guarded agaist at all cost, or at least, at the cost of a few slow-close toilet seats. Once they're a bit taller, parents can move on to worry about something else, and everyone can safely forget the toilet seat used to slow-close.
--
Andrew Gabriel
     snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) writes:

Seems like it may be a big problem in New York... http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/falling-toilet-seats-injure-1-000-boys-year-study-article-1.1376207 Maybe high-rises swaying in the wind...
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 10/05/2018 21:46, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I expect the distance between the toilet bowl and the cistern is incorrectly adjusted.

Most US boys are already circumcised.
--
Max Demian

writes:

lucky then the one I bought wouldn't fit the holes in the cludgy...too small ......