Soft close toilet seat repair ?

A couple of years ago, bought a soft-close toilet seats from Wilkos.

One has packed up, where the soft-close has stopped working for the seat, but is still working for the cover.

Finally got round to removing it for inspection, today, and was a little perplexed by the construction.

Looking at the underside, there are 2 small threads with 7mm nylox nuts that emerge into the centre of the assembly from the outside. However how the seat/cover were actually put in place seems a mystery, as there's no movement left-right to allow it.

I was able to remove the nuts (so there's something holding the shaft) but beyond that can't see how to proceed.

It's tempting to abandon the thing and just get a new one, but SWMBO has remembered that we've already done that - which is the one I am now looking to repair.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

on 10/05/2018, Jethro_uk supposed :

It calls for some photos!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I've fitted them for other parts of the family, and IME they all have a limited life before the soft-close fails. I never bothered trying to repair one though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Is the noise of a toilet seat falling such a terrible thing? Are the seats soft, too?

Reply to
Max Demian

When you have young male children in a certain age range, some parents worry about it slamming down unexpectedly mid stream, as it were. It's one of those things that happened to someone once, and the infinitesimally small chance of it happening to yours and jeopardising the chance of you having grandchildren later must be guarded agaist at all cost, or at least, at the cost of a few slow-close toilet seats. Once they're a bit taller, parents can move on to worry about something else, and everyone can safely forget the toilet seat used to slow-close.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Seems like it may be a big problem in New York...

Maybe high-rises swaying in the wind...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I expect the distance between the toilet bowl and the cistern is incorrectly adjusted.

Most US boys are already circumcised.

Reply to
Max Demian

lucky then the one I bought wouldn't fit the holes in the cludgy...too small ......

Reply to
Jimbo ...