Recommend a Toilet Seat please !

We have a pair of holiday cottages on the farm, and toilet seats are everlastingly failing. Modern seat seem to be a/ on the small side and b/ the hinge attachment to the seat itself is by two VERY tiny screws that work loose and fall out. We have been using wooden core plastic coated seat from Wickes (and also possibly B&Q) for around the £30 mark.

Yet another one was reported to me this morning so will need repair when the guests leave tomorrow morning, and although I usually keep a spare, this one was the last spare fitted only a few weeks ago.

I have a suspicion that possibly the cheaper all plastic ones might be more robust but would welcome informed comments from the group.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I would avoid the very cheapest (flexible) seats, because they feel nasty. I've had several of the cheaper solid wood seats from Wickes, etc, without having this problem with screws but yours may well see more "work" and/or heavier users. I've had to replace a couple of hinge sets because of corrosion but the seats have been saveable.

My impression is that the modern rigid plastic seats are pretty tough.

Reply to
newshound

In message <4qgKD.298859$ snipped-for-privacy@fx01.am, Jim GM4DHJ ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

We have been having a nightmare with toilet seats in both toilets.

In the main one, we used to have an excellent coated wooden one with a large brass hinge rod that went between the two hinges. It basically died of old age and the plastic covering started to disintegrate.

I couldn't shift the fixings, so we got a plumber who had to go to his van several times for bigger tools, but eventually freed it and put on a Homebase sourced replacement. This lasted about 3 weeks.

I then went to a local plumber's merchant who sold me a "Neutron" trade seat, which has now been in place for a few months without problems. It has top adjustable mountings that work by expanding a rubber fitting to grip the mounting holes, and two buttons on the soft-close hinge assembly so that the whole seat can be removed for cleaning. I think it was about £20 rather than the price shown in the manufacturer's advert.

Bill

"Andrew Mawson" <andrew@please_remove_me.mawson.org.uk> Wrote in message:

Look for something with soft-close hinges. They seem much more robust and ours have been going for years with no adjustment or problems.

Tim

--

Reply to
Tim+

I've recently fitted three soft-close Sta-tite seats from Screwfix in my daughter's new (to her) house. Very easy to fit - the torque setting is built into the plastic securing bolt. One's been in use for around a month now and so far, so good, it hasn't budged. They get good reviews on Screwfix and are reasonably cheap. They are on the small side so you might need to check the size but they just fit nicely the close-coupled toilets at my daughter's. Standard closing ones are also available. See:

John Miller

You may be better off with a soft close seat and lid and those advertised as with a quick release.

Example

The video shows one method of fixing to blind holes but in my experience the toggle type fixing can prove to be too weak to remain in position when someone sits on the seat and applies sideways force. There are other fixing method but if you can get to the underside of the pan the old wing nut method is probably the best.

You should also go for a seat where the release bar is the full width of the back of the seat as shown

You can get models where there is a release each side but these can result in each side twisting independently. I wouldn't recommend them

Flexible plastic seats area waste of time. I've seen them used in places of work and pubs and they last days! Thick rigid plastic with a full width soft close bar is possibly the way to go.

Another fixing method

._SX425_.jpgthe fitting needs to be a very snug fit in the pan holes.

There are also rigid plastic fittings that expand when screwed up.

Reply to
alan_m

I have a white plastic (less brittle than black?) seat, it does have soft close, the bolts are nylon, no problems with strength. It's wide enough, ideally it could do with being a cm longer ... sorry, I can't remember where I bought it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are the toilet seats with a flange underneath to stop sideways movement available? The type that are found in NHS toilets, where there are a number of peeps who have disabilities and cannot lower end raise themselves gently.

Reply to
Broadback

In message <1ZhKD.40823$ snipped-for-privacy@fx15.am, Jim GM4DHJ ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com writes

Can I ask why? Apart from being slightly cold on the buttocks, we have had no problems. The ones with the single button and a plastic bar across looked OK, but seemed to have more things to go wrong. I would have preferred an old fashioned brass bar and fittings type, but couldn't find any at anywhere near my price range.

Reply to
Bill

The toilet in our holiday let had an Ideal Standard seat. It was there when we bought the property from thehousing association and was still perfect when we sold it 14 yeras later.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

This one looks robust (at 2.3kg it should be!) and is in various 'flavours' (perhaps that should be 'smells'!):

It's also a slightly concave top profile, thus easier on the hip joints.

Reply to
PeterC