Soft toilet seat.

I am getting yet another one of these. Personally I am fine with the cheap plastic or wood ones. I have seen a wood one break. Wasn't mine and I can't remember now where it was. A piece actually cracked off. Can't say that I've had a plastic one break. But the others who live here love the soft ones. The problem I have is that they split at the seams or just get weird slits in them. I was like... What are you two doing? Sitting down with a knife or something?

I ordered this one as it seemed to get mostly good reviews:

I think I have bought all of the various ones that I can find in the brick and mortar stores. And they all suck. Has anyone bought one that they had good luck with? I'd like it to last longer than a year.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I think the very cheapest seats, the kind used in gas station washrooms in the 1950's, are wood. There are also good wood ones.

Wasn't mine and I

I have, and it was a color that matched my bathroom, that I could only get at one hardware store in New Jersey, 180 miles away. However, it likely was because of my excess weight, and even if it wasnt' that, I would still buy another plastic seat. Over all I think they are the best.

I don't have one because a friend gave me a new actual wood oak seat. The big trouble with that is that the brass hardware turns green. I think maybe some wood ones have plastic hardware.

You never know. Did any of your family serve much time in prison? They may have smuggled in weapons that way.

I don't like the padded ones. God gave me my own padding. Even when I was thin, I had more than enough.

Wow. I had no idea they could wear out so fast. Of course I'm the only one who lives here. But other than that plastic one that broke, all the others (not padded) last 20 or 30 years.

Reply to
micky

BTW, I know not absolutely everyone has enough padding. I knew a girl once, didn't seem skinny, but when I squeezed her bottom, I could feel her pelvis. It was scary. In my case, even when I was thin, there was no evidence I had bones in there. Maybe some thick fat or floppy cartilage or special bottom material, but no bones.

Reply to
micky

Get a good seat like a Church and it will last you 30 years or so.

Get a Kohler soft close and it will be comfortable and last a long time. I like the way you can just tap it and it drops slowly and noise free. Look for a Kohler Q3 seat

If you want the best and easiest, get a comfort height toilet with elongated bowl.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Years ago, a family friend had a padded toilet seat. I can remember my mother talking about how it split, and the split was positioned such that it pinched people when they sat on it (or went to get up maybe). I can't remember the whole story, but the discussion made enough of an impression on me that to this day I can't bring myself to buy a padded seat, LOL. The owners apparently liked the padded seats though, because they always had one when we visited, and I remember seeing strips of plastic tape on them, which I assume covered recurring slits.

Reply to
Lee B

Quit half-stepping and buy a Bemis!

I noticed this was the brand on the toity in our new hospital. Comfortable, contoured, solid, simple. I did some research and bought one off Amazon. It was still about $50, non-padded, but worth ever cent. This after caring for my Alzheimer mom for about 5 yrs and replacing her preferred cheapo padded toilet seats about once per year. Broken hinges, torn padding, iffy anchors, etc. They were all junk. I finally hadda put my mom in a home, but splurged on a Bemis commercial grade toilet seat. Sucker will probably outlast me, Mom, the toity, and the house. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I've had the same bad experience with wood. They look great but they can't take the flexing from being sat on, and soon they split.

The soft ones with a vinyl cover and padding are indeed comfortable, but split.

My favorites are the self closing ones. They seem to last and not having to let the lid down easy is a luxury. Now when I use a toilet without the easy close you're going to hear the seat crash down. Hard habit to break.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Maybe the good ones have 4 bumpers holding up the wood, but maybe there are poor ones with only two bumpers. I think I remember 40 years ago there were such seats. Maybe there still are.

Reply to
micky

Well, I think someone could make some bucks coming up with a wooden seat that lasts more than a year or 2. Maybe that simulated wood they make floors out of...

I think a solid piece of wood is just prone to split cut to that shape, no matter how many bumpers it has. More bumpers would help, but the grain is a weak point.

Reply to
Dan.Espen

Because there is much more strain on the wood with only front bumpers. Almost all of one's weight is behind the front bumpers and will be right above the rear bumpers if they exist. If they're not, sitting down would be like jumping on a trampoline.

Well the wood one my friend gave me new with brass hardware, I've been using for 5 or 6 years now and I expect it to last much longer. It's oak, and not painted, just (maybe stained) and varnished or polyu'd. (I'd rather have had plastic hinges. They don't turn green.)

Plus I think I have a cheap wood one in the powder room I don't use much but that one might be 35 years old. That's when the house was built. It's an Elger toilet. For new construction do the toilets come with seats? I'll try to find more clues what it's made of.

Some woods are better than others. Oak is strong I weigh a disgusting

274 now, and neither seat has shown signs of breaking.

The plastic one cracked months before it broke. I was lighter then, myabe 220. I'm not sure if my weight broke it or not. I'm guessing to some extent it did, in that if I weighed 100 it wouldn't have broken.

Reply to
micky

Yes. I remember when I worked in a store that sold toilet seats, we had some customers that wanted the oak ones. The kind that actually looked like wood. No paint.

Ah... My parents must have had broken ones too. They had avocado green in their bathroom before it was remodeled and I remember them having an odd, beige seat with a shell shaped seat on it for a time. I have had those connector thingies at the back break. Particularly the caps on them. But never the seat itself.

I used to have a brass headboard. It was fine for many years but then whatever coating it had on it had worn off. I was likely cleaning it with the wrong thing. It turned green in spots.

Heh. Not my immediate family, no. But I am related to John Wilkes Booth. Not something I am proud of. Also related to Benjamin Franklin and Johnny Appleseed so perhaps they cancel him out?

I have no padding. Not on my seat anyway. I am overweight but I have never had a butt. So while those seats feel good until they crack or unless they have a seam in a weird spot, I would still prefer the regular kind. Exception might have been during my colonoscopy prep but... Don't have to have another one for 10 years.

Well, this one is in my husband's bathroom and he can wear anything out quickly. Not sure why. The other seats that I got him were cheaper ones as that was all I could find in the stores here.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I am old. My daughter took a picture of my behind in my undies. It was like the saggy baggy elephant only it was skin that was sagging. Wasn't pretty. But I have never had a butt. Hard for me to find underwear that fits. Thick waist, no hips, no butt. I have actually had underwear that flapped around me like butterfly wings. That wasn't pretty either.

Reply to
Julie Bove

That's exactly what they do. And then they have exposed foam which I would assume would get nastily germy.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Hate the comfort height. My parents had one. I had trouble getting off of it. And husband has a 24" inseam. So that wouldn't work for him, methinks. But I will look for those brands. We currently have pretty cheap toilets but they work. Can only use one ply paper. His would flush anything for a while but now it clogs like mine does if we use 2 ply. That's probably some sort of deeper issue. But for the time being, we have two good plungers and we buy 1 ply by the case.

Perhaps one day we will redo the bathrooms. I would sure like to get rid of my giant, jetted tub and replace it with some kind of small soaking tub which we would likely still never use except for doing hand wash. And I would like to get rid of that idiotic wedge shaped piece of wall to wall carpet in there and get a better looking floor. And get rid of the hideous wallpaper and the gold mirrors on part of three of the walls. Heck, I'd even like to get rid of that second sink! The people who did this remodel were Filipino and must have been tiny. That second sink is placed so close to the free standing shower stall that you can't fully open the doors underneath it. We don't have enough linen storage. So I'd rather rip that puppy out and put in some sort of linen closet there or at least shelves. Would love to have one of those somewhat new bowl sinks. The ones that sit up off of the counter. Ah, dream on.

Husband's bathroom is functional but 80's. So he is probably due for an upgrade.

We're currently getting a new roof and then we'll need to have the exterior painted. Have done so many other repairs in the almost 10 years since we moved it, it's incredible! And that's not really upgrading much of anything except for the storm door.

This is why I like to rent! :) Sure you don't get a lot of options but you also don't have to fix anything. And unless I win the lottery or something, I'll never have my dream home. I just have to keep the one I have from falling apart.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Holy crap! They even have avocado. Not soft though. Need soft.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I don't think I've ever used a self closing. I did see them online though.

Reply to
Julie Bove

When I sold toilet seats, we did have complaints of our oak ones. Some people said they splintered.

The seats that we had when we first bought the house were plastic, thin and flexible. Now that I think about it, the reason why I bought the padded seat to begin with was that husband's had something wrong with it. Can't remember what.

I have a cheap plastic one on mine now which I may well replace soon. The one bolt on the left side keeps getting loose. I had a kitten who was always removing nuts. She took them off of my towel rack and also an earring rack in my bedroom. It was a commercial style that I needed when I was selling jewelry at a craft show. I blamed her for the loose nut. But she's gone now and that nut still keeps getting loose. Also the right one has started getting loose. So I keep a screwdriver in there.

Why can't someone come up with some way to attach the seat that actually works? The one I got for husband's bathroom prior to this one had the same seat as another made by that company but it had some sort of different attachment thingies that were purported to be easy to take on and off. Ha! I can't remember now all of the hoops I had to jump through to get it on and off but it was harder to do than a simple bolt and nut.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Being short, it may not be the best option, but the elongated bowl is still better.

But I will look for those brands. We currently have pretty

Unless it is a sewer issue, it can just be the fact tht old toilets do show age. The holes around the rim can be getting clogged on the inside, the trap has buildup, etc. Most new toilets can easily move a lot of solids in a couple of seconds with little water. Expect to pay $400 or so.

Carpet like that does not belong in a bathroom. No way to properly clean it. Sheet goods or tile with a throw rug is the way to go.

I got rid of the tub altogether. We now have a 32 x 60 shower with glass door, two spray heads, grab bars and is all tile. The bathrooms has tile on the rest of the walls about 50" high. Jut finished the upstairs and now starting the downstairs. Cost for a first rate remodel was $12k. You can spend more though.

They look nice, but do not seem practical. We have a one piece vanity top and it is easy to clean. Any water splashed is easily directed to the sink.

I've never rented. Bought my first house when I was 20 and single, got married a few months later. If you rent, you still pay for repairs as part of the rent, but have no choice in anything. My house is the way I want it and all good quality fixtures and appliances. The house is paid for so I'm living cheaper with only taxes and insurance. Makes retirement easier when I finally decide to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They have

Look for the videos of how they attach and close.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Bemis uses nylon nut/bolt anchors, but they work. The nuts are two part. You tighten the lower part with a wrench and when the nuts are properly torqued, the lower nut breaks free from the upper nut. They gar-own-tee the nuts will never work loose. So far, I'm convinced.

nb

Reply to
notbob