Soft close toilet seat ?

What is the advantage of them, I need to replace my non soft close and cant think of a reason to pay the extra cost for a `soft close`
On 16/02/16 22:27, ss wrote:

A lot if you have kids!
I have a Wickes one and it's still going strong after 6 years.

I like them, because you can just pull the lid and leave it to close.
but no one else in the house closes the lids, and as the only male in the house I'm the only one to lift the seat, so no one else cares what they are like.
--
Chris French

Same here, but then you're having a pee somewhere else and forget it's not a soft close. I haven't broken anything yet, but it's only a matter of time.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On Wednesday, 17 February 2016 09:05:49 UTC+1, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Absolutely

Ain't that the truth!
ss wrote:

If you have friends/family with the grace of a herd of elephants, you don't get loud slamming noises as the 'drop' the lid and/or seat ...
ss wrote:

I don't know whether this applies but I suggest having all toilet seats in the house soft-close, or none. Otherwise you end up confusing them and noisily dropping the non-soft-close.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England
On 16/02/2016 23:03, Mike Barnes wrote:

It always amazes me that often, the woman who make most fuss about men leaving the toilet seat up, fail to lower the lid, which to my mind is an even bigger offence.
On Tuesday, 16 February 2016 22:27:25 UTC, ss wrote:

The extra cost of a soft close is a lot less than the cost of replacing a cracked pan.
Owain

I doubt you get many cracked pans anymore with modern plastic dunny seats.
On Thursday, 18 February 2016 19:31:26 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

You do if you're using an SDS drill to put up a bathroom cabinet when you get wacked in the geraniums with a dropping seat.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com escribió:

You do if you're using a bathroom with decent quality fittings, not some Australian shite.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
escribió:

Must be pretty shitty pan if a seat can crack it.
Or an obscenely obese arse like yours slamming it down.
On 18/02/2016 19:31, Rod Speed wrote:

They are just 'nice'. A quick flick and it slowly descends....
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

However in my experience many of them won't stay 'up' unless you hold them there for several seconds. Not very convenient (?!).
--
Chris Green
·

snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

But at least it is more convenient than those where, somewhat implausibly, the seat will not stay up unaided. Sometimes this may be due to a candlewick cover (I've got a long memory) sometimes I guess someone screwed up the geometry.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk

Not a problem we have with the two in this house.
--
Chris French

On 19/02/2016 10:48, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote:

Mines been fine.
It's reduced the nagging from SWMBO about leaving the seat up. Press flush button, brush hand forwards to start the close, job done.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

On 16/02/2016 22:27, ss wrote:

ISTR something about the risk of injuries to young boys caused by conventional seats unexpectedly crashing down.
--
Mike Clarke