A new toilet seat woe!

Daughter gave her dad the new toilet seat yesterday. We haven't installed it yet. I just went to use my toilet and noticed that something looked very wrong. Turns out that the lid is attached by two screws on either side. Somehow, the one on the right side came out enough to where the lid is now loose and somehow it is also allowing the seat to slide around. It's really bad and I can't wait for one to come that I order. So... Looks like I will be stuck buying whatever they have at Fred Meyers. It will likely be a soft one since daughter prefers those and she will be with me when we go. The one that was on there was giving me fits anyway as one of the bolts that holds the seat down was always coming loose.

Oh and I did try to put the screw back in but it seems not to want to go anywhere. I suspect this is the cheapest seat possible. It's pretty thin plastic.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Can you take the seat and screws to a hardware store and ask for help? Or if not, take one of the other screws?

Reply to
Guv Bob

Can you take the seat and screws to a hardware store and ask for help? Or if not, take one of the other screws?

Nope. It's not the screws that hold the seat to the toilet. It's some sort of headless screw that holds the lid to the seat. It was stuck. I have since replaced it. Discovered that both the replacement one and the one I put on husband's toilet are both made by Bemis. They're soft seats and not good. Only difference is that his was a PITA to install. Rather than putting the screws through the hinges on the back, you put those in first. Then snap the seat on then lock it. You can then remove to seat when you want to clean it. Who does that?

And now after daughter begged me for a soft seat and I finally got one, she says that she liked the other seat better. So... In a month or two I will look for a plastic seat. In pink. She wants pink. I saw one that got high ratings from all but three people. Two had color complaints. The other said that the seat was too flexible. That was the problem we had with our really old one. Thin and flexible. It didn't break. It just felt like it would.

Reply to
Julie Bove

I buy the cheapest toilet seat I can find. Plastic coated wood. Less then ten bucks.

Usually last ten years or so.

Reply to
philo

That would be me.

A few times a year it comes off, goes into the laundry sink where is is cleaned perfectly with diluted bleach. . So is the toilet porcelain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I probably would if it were easy.

Reply to
micky

Ed & Micky.

Reply to
Guv Bob

better question is what did they say when she tried to return it?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Are you trolling?

Good grief, a cheap, soft, *shocking pink* (O_0) toliet seat causes a post to a repair group??

LMAOF

John

Reply to
John

I didnt' know they made that. That might be what I have and would account for why it didn't break when I stood on it at 250 plus.

Less

Reply to
micky

This might be perfect for her...

Guv Bob

Thanks. Amazon has some. May go for that next time. I don't know why but the one in husband's bathroom is more comfortable. Mine doesn't seem as cushy.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Really? Hmmm... I've been asking people about this and nobody has admitted to pulling their seat off. I can't use bleach. Causes me terrible respiratory problems.

Reply to
Julie Bove

Well they claim this is easy. I suppose if I took the seat off all the time, I would remember how to put it back on. But I haven't really seen the need to clean under the hinges so...

Reply to
Julie Bove

My daughter's a teenager. She wants pink. I don't really care. Nobody sees our bathroom but the two of us and the cats.

Reply to
Julie Bove

This might be perfect for her...

Julie Bove

The Kohler is very easy. It is not under the hinges, but around the hinge itself that is difficult to clean. Not done every week, but once in a while it is good to get everything. If y ou can't use bleach, any good cleaner will do, of course.

I like to dump a couple of ounces in the bowl once in a while too. Keeps it perfect. I hate see anything, even mineral buildup on a toilet bowl.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The cheap seats require the user to provide their own padding!

Reply to
philo

Look at the no-slam seats. It does not come in pink nor is it soft. I suppose you could glue pink carpet to it if you like a no-slam seat.

Reply to
Thomas

She's saying there's a brand of seat that makes removal easy, and I think I've seen something about that (but not much), so for everyone who has never had it made easy, they're unlikely to remove the seat.

The seat snaps off and snaps on, leaving just part of the hinges on the toilet, a part that doesn't get in the way of cleaing the toilet.

So far googling for snap on toilet seat only finds those meant to snap onto a 5-gal bucket, and some medical seats which probably have some snap on bag underneath. Not what I had in mind.

I changed to easy to remove toilet seat and found it.

Easy-Clean & Change TM by Bemis.

one-minute video
30$, in 2 colors. Treated with DuraGuard® antimicrobial that inhibits the growth and odor of micro-organisms on the toilet seat Made with durable wood with a superior high-gloss finish that resists chipping and scratching Has a metal hinge that keeps the seat secure and looks great Measures 14.37 L x 16.93" W x 2.25 H Fits all round bowls 1-year limited manufacturer's warranty Made in USA

I suspect it doesn't really have a metal hinge, but I'm also sure that the separable hinge can be put on many types of seats, not just wood.

For example, here is plastic.

87 colors. No price here. STA-TITE® Seat Fastening System? - Installs with ease, never loosens. I don't know if I want this or not. I had trouble tightening at least one seat and it moved around, but I must have fixed it because nothing's moved in years.

Also, connection looks different, more like the video. Bemis and Mayfair and Church use the same trademark but I don't think the connections are exaactly the same shape.

And here are 9 features and explanations. More features than you ever thought your toilet seat will have, inclding power windows and power doorlocks.

Hmmm. One of the 9 features is Just-Lift, which seems to be more about getting the seat off easily than Easy Clean & Change. Or maybe it's the same but works with Sta-tite. It's a puzzlement.

A video here helps
Per the video, the seat goes on very easily, but it doesn't come off all the way. It just lifts up about an inch, maybe a tiny bit more, but doesn't come all the way off like Easy Clean and Change. I think I prefer EC&C. but this would be a lot better than what I have.

In fact, I'm so eager to do a good job of cleaning, I'm tempted to buy one of these two designs now. Definitely I would use their cleaning features if I had either of these two kinds of seat.

Top-Loc® hinges come with either a stainless steel or nylon pintle. That's great if I knew what a pintle was.

Reply to
micky