Eco Warm - Snake oil or not?

it is true that it is 99.whatevr efficint (all electric heating is)

and it might well cost a fraction to run as a big heater, but if it takes e.g. 1/10 the power of a big heater, it will take at least 10x as long to heat the room.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Corse it is snake oil. They don't even mention the wattage and even if it did take the full 13A there is no way that it could warm a large room in 60 secs.

Reply to
zall

they carefully avoid saying how much it warms it *by* in those 60 seconds ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, that depends, efficient at heating what? I bought a USB heated vest last week. In terms of keeping me warm, it appears to be very impressive.

Last night, living room at 16-17 C, USB vest on under a slightly large fleece jumper, watching TV. I was very comfortable. I found myself rolling up my sleeves as one might on a warm day. For those of us who live alone in unsuitably big, or drafty, houses, personal heating seems a simple way of slashing energy costs. Even turning down the central heating 3 or 4 degrees saves a huge amount.

Reply to
Pancho

Of course it’s utter bollocks. I want to know why it’s not 100% efficient? It’s a tiny heater no more an probably no less efficient than any other resistive heater. It’s tiny because it produces little heat (and therefore uses less power) than bigger more powerful heaters.

Handy if you want to heat a tiny space (like you knees under a desk) but nothing miraculous about it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That is possibly the only true statement on the site.

Judging by the size of it more like 1000x as long or never. Size matters

- see the picture at the bottom of their home page cf a finger!

Domain name is registered in Iceland all contact details withheld - assume total scam you probably don't even get what you have paid for:

Martin Brown

It is about the size of a mug of coffee - see their home page:

Scroll down to the last image. It is only marginally bigger than the remote to control it!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Their T&C say

"These Terms have been constructed in accordance with EU laws regulating consumer rights. These Terms, and entire legal relations between You and Us, shall be subject to the law of the Republic of Lithuania, except in cases, if the consumer relations regulating laws would set a specific applicable law or jurisdiction."

:-(

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

They probably make more money by people clicking through to read what utter bollocks they are spouting than they do selling the things. They may not even exist!

Reply to
R D S

I'm not saying it's good, but I assume they've made their wording minimally compatible with the truth, enough to fool some of the people some of the time.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Lots of domains are registered in Iceland because there are huge numbers of datacentres in Iceland and companies providing one-stop solutions. Iceland is popular for datacentres because of the cheap cooling (open the window) and the renewable geothermal energy. The only downside is as it's an island with finite connection bandwidth compared to mainland Europe, you tend to get less traffic in hosting plans etc.

I've got VMs running in Iceland as they are cheap. If you are not going to be running tens of TB of traffic a month, it's a good place to be hosted.

And since GDPR, contact details are always withheld.

The heater in question is bollocks however.

Reply to
mm0fmf

who provides you with vmhosting in iceland?

Reply to
SH

You are wrong "It heats up any mid-sized room within 60 seconds."

Reply to
alan_m

Heats it up by 10 degrees, or by 0.01 of a degree? They don't say which ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

In a doll's house maybe. It is the size of a mug of coffee.

Look at the size of the thing on the home page for the URL.

Reply to
Martin Brown

More likely it will *never* heat the room to an acceptable temperature. To do that, it would need at least to balance the heat losses. No chance whatsoever of that!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Why do you think this?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Define "heats up".

Reply to
Tim Streater

what is actually printed/said.

The issue is that Joe Public doesnt understand the meaning of the terms used e.g. to warm . They make assumptions about what isnt specified. And are impressed by statements like highly efficient or 99% efficient.

Reply to
Robert