Smart meters, what do SMETS2 use to communicate (Suffolk)?

I'd have no problem - it can support at least 4 completely independent networks. Each has its own SSID and password and its own rules. Currently I have one set up for the household, with access to everything; a second for visitors, with access to the internet only and no access to anything on our household network; and a third set up, for household devices that don't need access to the rest of the house (EV charger, etc.).

Reply to
SteveW

I suspect that most people wouldn't know how to configure it in a secure way. I couldn't without looking it up, and even then wouldn't be sure I had got it right.

Reply to
Max Demian

I must admit that the 950 page manual for my router is rather daunting. Not quite as bad when you realise that it covers every option, so each thing is repeated many multiple times.

Reply to
SteveW

Most people obtain their router from the ISP and if you are lucky it comes with a 2 page quick set-up guide :)

Reply to
alan_m

We were suffering a high number of attempts to get into our home server (from China, Vietnam and a few in Rumania). Our ISP was not helpful (made it very difficult to get our static IP address changed). The load on the router from all these requests that were receiving no answer from our server, caused our internet connection to be painfully slow, so I invested in a router capable of coping with the load, until the problem could be sorted properly.

Since then, it has given us the advantage that when we changed ISPs, I just had to tell the router to use an ethernet port instead of the VDSL port, connected it to the ISP's modem/router and switched that to modem only mode. Nothing inside our home network had to change.

Similarly, we have our own domain and our email is sent and collected via the hosting company's servers, by our home server. Each time we have moved between ISPs (a number of times over the years), I only needed to change a couple of IP addresses and our systems just worked. As it is our own domain, our email addresses don't change when we change ISPs and we still have all our historic emails.

Reply to
SteveW

I'm not convinced they will stop working, they will just resort to their own internal 'default' clock.

You'd never design a system (with no return path) to rely solely on a radio signal to keep warm etc. And I wonder how many teleswitches are still in use (rather a lot possibly, because the electricity companies have only very recently asked the BBC to extend R4 LW's life by another year) actually are still receiving a signal, (given the sharp increase in background RFI over the last couple of decades)

I've had discussions with SSE over my mother's dual phase/teleswitch system, and their industrial metering division have now taken up the case, and I still haven't been able to engage with (my idea of) a proper engineer. I'm beginning to wonder if they have any !

Reply to
Mark Carver

Having any form of 'mains' electricity inside a gas meter is a big no-no, AIUI

Reply to
Mark Carver

How many languages?

Reply to
Max Demian

I know people hate reading manuals, and no-one would read them in their entirety before playing with their new toy as they used to tell you to do, but the ASUS laptop I bought last year would have been unusable without downloading the full manual; for a start to see how to use the touch pad; there must be people who always us a mouse with a desktop or had one of the older laptops that have a pad with two buttons that you use with one finger. It's in no way obvious how you use your two, three or even four fingers on the modern pads. Easy when you know how though.

Reply to
Max Demian

Just English.

Reply to
SteveW

Guess that approach can make sense for easy access to the bit you need.

Which model specifically ?

Reply to
farter

Some of them will. There are still ones out there with the big mechanical clock attached. The radio ones are (mis-)using a technology designed for more complex dynamic tariffs like THTC.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Humphrey

My wife has an alarm clock controlled by a radio signal from Rugby (I think)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

What has that got to do with anything? Anyway the Rugby signal was turned off and replaced by a pan-Europe one quite a few years ago I think.

The R4 timeswitch service is something quite separate.

Reply to
Chris Green

Rugby was demolished years ago

Reply to
charles

Not Rugby for years. It's Anthorn (Cumbria) now. And some even use a station in the EU.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Anthorn now. You can see the shaows of the masts...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.910373,-3.2787434,1499m/data=!3m1!1e3

Reply to
Bob Eager

Nothing of any significance other than alternative systems in existence. I'm not daring to suggest that Economy 7 can magically switch. The clock was made in China!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have a SMETS 1 and they now feed the data from it, via an intermediary.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

It used to be MSF Rugby, but it was moved to MSF Anthorn.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq