Smart homes

Wow - Radio 4 "You and Yours" today on smart homes...

When choosing a smart home product, you will almost certainly want internet connectivity, but you must choose a product which will still work without internet connectivity, when you mobile dies, etc.

Stunningly good advice that I've given myself many times, and quite impressed Radio 4 found someone with such a clue.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I keep hearing that smart thermostats have a positive impact on house prices, but given that they don't cost very much, I am surprised that they make a noticeable difference.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Well depends on what sort of differnce prompts you to notice...

Adam Aglionby

Home automation used to reduce the value of a house - scares too many people off. Consequently, I made mine easy to rip out when I installed it 16 years ago. This is probably less so now it's becoming a bit more known, but I suspect most of the consumer product DIY solutions will not increase the value. A full prefessional quality system built-in to a high-end house might increase value.

This was mentioned too on the Radio 4 program, again in the context of not choosing a system which is dependant on the internet (and I would say not dependant on any external provider - Google has already pulled the plug on one product when it decided not to continue with it).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel