Smart gas meters

Landis+Gyr Libra 310 gas meter with 5236 electricity meter.

EdF claimed they would make them smart again, but I'm not holding my breath on that ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Then if you defaulted on your bills they would take 5 minutes to get a court order to enter your premises and change the meters.

From Money Saving Expert......

The plan is for all SMETS 1 meters to be remotely upgraded with software to allow them to meet SMETS 2 specifications and be connected to the central network.

The Government-backed Data Communications Company (DCC), which is responsible for putting the infrastructure in that underpins the roll-out of smart meters, has upgraded about 10 million meters so far. There's no set date for the upgrade to be completed, but eventually all SMETS 1 meters will be updated.

Your meter will be upgraded remotely, so you won't have to do anything. But it's up to your supplier to inform you when it's going to take place and whether it was successful or not. In the unlikely event your meter can't be updated remotely, worst case is you'll need to have your SMETS

1 meters replaced with SMETS 2 meters. Annoying and inconvenient, but not the end of the world.
Reply to
alan_m

Them's "tokenless" smart meters. So /if/ they ever managed to make them "smart" again they could remotely switch you to prepayment. You'd get a card so you could top up at POs, PayPoints etc (& with cash) as well as online.

It's down to DCC to do the software update. And I wouldn't rely on EDF to tell you if DCC have done it. You could of course check for yourself from time to time. DCC have provided a tool just for that:

Robin

I realise that.

Which doesn't acknowledge the existence of either meter by MPAN/MPRN.

I've also searched DCC's endless stream of documents regarding re-enrolling dormant SMETS1 meters ... my L+G meters used to get mentioned, now they do not, there are some newer L+G models, installed by British Gas on Vodafone that they seem to have tested but not yet rolled-out (but mine were by E.on on O2/Telefonica)

Even those newer L+G meters seem might use an outsourced data collection system from Trilliant, rather than talk direct to DCC's own systems, so maybe they are awkward edge-cases?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I doubt it.

Has this temporary ban ended?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Apologies - no condescension intended.

I don't know just what that means. Do just wonder if one possible explanation is that supplier has not released (or whatever the term is) your meters to DCC.

I'd assumed their lists were getting shorter as they'd dealt with the other meters. Silly me. (Unless they have but don't know about yours.)

Don't know. Trilliant did a deal with DCC in 2017 to enable meters using their comms hubs to be enrolled. I'd assumed that was working OK else DCC et al would have screamed: Trilliant claimed to have ~7 million meters. But there could be subsets which remain blocked.

Reply to
Robin

juxtapose a couple of digits and they may send someone to check ;-)

Reply to
ajh

Tell them you’ve developed cataracts and can no longer read the meter yourself. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My last 2 Companies have encouraged me to pay by DD but only for the amount used each month. No averaged-estimated payments.

Reply to
Robert

I've said this before - but my supplier contacted me to tell me my meter was out of calibration and needed replacement.

This turned out to be a ploy to get me to take a smart meter. Once they'd worked out one wouldn't work here they lost interest. When I said "Hang on, what about the calibration?" They said "Oh, that doesn't matter".

Interestingly a SMETS2 meter might work - but they haven't asked again.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

My SMETS 1 was updated months ago.